Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 12.10 RC Images live now!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: 12.10 RC Images live now!

Reference note #7

Was able to get install of 20121014 up on the Aspire 1 netbook.

Compiz has fits of shakes.

Install "change" drop down menu really wild flickering back and forth with a bunch of wild selections. Held down left button and used up/down arrows to finally get Ext4 selected. Compiz doing some funny flashing in background.

Anyway, up and running and updated (with sudo-apt get update, dist-upgrade I turn "Update Manager" off ASAP in Software Sources.

Using external TV "unknown monitor" 1366x768 with xrandr in .xprofile and a manual xorg.conf. Took some wild searches in the forums to get it running. Obviously not Ubuntu's target market.

Wireless WPA2 security up and running - network manager difficult and very slow eventually gets going. On boot it Connects then automatically Disconnects requiring manual sudo dhclient wlan0, wait 5 seconds, Ctrl-c. Obviously not Ubuntu's target configuration. Yes there's a bug written. No action from developers.

No showstoppers. Obviously not "plug and play" for a newbie.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sgage View Post
    I just installed yesterday's daily about an hour ago. nvidia-current installed and works fine. I just used apt-get, nothing fancy.
    OK well if anyone else is having my problem as noted a few posts back, here is your solution:

Running apt-get in the terminal (thanks for making me think of that), and piping it through less, I noticed this:

Code:
    Building only for 3.5.0-17-generic
    Building for architecture x86_64
    Module build for the currently running kernel was skipped since the
    kernel source for this kernel does not seem to be installed.
    So I did:

Code:
    sudo apt-get purge nvidia-current
    Then:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install linux-source linux-headers-generic
    Then:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install nvidia-current
    And all is well...

Edit: Left out a step. Also, I suspect that you may only need the headers, but I didn't feel like any further experimentation, so installedboth to be sure.
    Last edited by converted; October 14th, 2012 at 03:12 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Install O.K. on Acer Aspire 5253 wide screen notebook

Booted to solid purple screen
    Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Wrestler [Radeon HD 6310]

Had same trouble with B2.

Booted again, removed splash, booted O.K.

So far RC much less buggy on my netbook, notebook, with tower fewer anklebiters no showstoppers.

Disabled integration clutter I think.

Thursday Oct 18 still boots to solid purple screen unless "splash" removed. Advanced options really lousy jerky screen 1024x768 instead of 1366x768.

Network manager very flaky. Half the time disconnects fromn wireless WPA security instead of connecting.
    Broadcom Corporation BCM43225 802.11b/g/n (rev 01)
    Last edited by jerrylamos; October 19th, 2012 at 01:56 AM. Reason: RC buggy on this widescreen amd64 notebook

Beans
    Distro

zsynced the Oct. 14th daily. Works just great on all the three systems I have tested so far. This Release has some surprises for older laptops (Acer Aspire 3620/1.5Mhz). From the USB key with 'Try Ubuntu' one gets a really snappy Unity experience (where the USB flash actually runs faster than the hdd.) It's just one of those hybrid phenomenons which happens with Ubuntu every so often (as with Maveric and Lucid).

Also works great 'live' with ATi system but I did not get Ubiquity on a tower with a much older nVidia card (but with Kubuntu Quantal - or any other version of Kubuntu it's a no-brainer that most older graphics cards will be detected and utilized properly).+1 for Xubuntu and Lubuntu.

So if it is any consolation to the devs .. Great work!!

As for the Acer Aspire ?? Unity is just hopping. I don't understand the entire mechanics of why this is .. however I am gong to install to hdd and see what happens next !

Always surprises!!

regards,

ventrical
    This is Rolling Release
    Warnings for New Beta Testers& Helpful Terminal Commands:
    Running Trusty /devel/@ 5.120GHz32bit/ Please put [ prefix] on New Threads!

Beans
    Distro

I have tested RC so far.

+ Start times are ok

+ Shutdown takes too long (not only happenening to me)

+ Still Unity integration and Compiz bugs https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...y/+bug/1065578

+ Very ugly Icons for xterm and xdiagnose: There is a bug report somewhere it was fixed at least for GNOME, but not in Unity the Design Team has to look at this

+ Still not very pleased with default turning on amazon and one music store, here in the installer there should be asked would be the most logical way!

Beans

Is it good time to upgrade from 12.04?

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by vaibhav View Post
    It's gettin' close. In three days - on Thursday - it'll be better. The Release Candidate out there now is good, but over the next few days there'll be additional bug fixes, so when the final version comes out on Thursday, it should be more reliable and complete.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by converted View Post
    OK well if anyone else is having my problem as noted a few posts back, here is your solution:

Running apt-get in the terminal (thanks for making me think of that), and piping it through less, I noticed this:

Code:
    Building only for 3.5.0-17-generic
    Building for architecture x86_64
    Module build for the currently running kernel was skipped since the
    kernel source for this kernel does not seem to be installed.
    So I did:

Code:
    sudo apt-get purge nvidia-current
    Then:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install linux-source linux-headers-generic
    Then:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install nvidia-current
    And all is well...

Edit: Left out a step. Also, I suspect that you may only need the headers, but I didn't feel like any further experimentation, so installedboth to be sure.
    These steps worked for me. Thanks a ton.

Beans

^^ I'm thrilled that I was able to help someone out!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by vaibhav View Post
    At this stage of development Quantal has greatly stablized and now may be a good a time as any. It is rock-solid Ubuntu at it's best. There may be some video graphics drivers on some hybrid machines (or older machines with older-lesser graphics adapters) but for the most part my several install of quantal have performed exquisitely. All of my Intel chipset based towers and laptops have rarely even burped and ATI cards have responded just as well. There was only one major glitch with past developed nvidia driver and xserver-xorg side by side but even that has been resolved and I had been able to recover all of my busted nVidia installed without re-installation.

If you want to play it safe then try Kubuntu instead. It has behaved exceptionaly well through this most recent whole development process.

Regards, ventrical
    This is Rolling Release
    Warnings for New Beta Testers& Helpful Terminal Commands:
    Running Trusty /devel/@ 5.120GHz32bit/ Please put [ prefix] on New Threads!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast