Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: lubuntu 12.10

Question lubuntu 12.10

i seen the preview of lubuntu 12.10 and i'm not impressed i thought lubuntu suppose to be lightweight but every new release i feel it's getting slower or is it me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: lubuntu 12.10

Thread moved to Ubuntu +1 (Quantal Quetzal).

TenPlus1 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Smile Re: lubuntu 12.10

Lubuntu runs very well on my Acer Aspire Revo and in a way I prefer it over Xubuntu...

I would like to see the e-mail client change from Sylpheed to Claws Mail in the next release as Claws seems lighter and faster with more features...

i see, also would the non-pae kernel apply to lubuntu as well?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

i seen the preview of lubuntu 12.10 and i'm not impressed i thought lubuntu suppose to be lightweight but every new release i feel it's getting slower or is it me.
    Not really. Just for you, I stuck in an old 11.04 CD and saw no visible difference between that and 12.10 on a Pentium IV.

One also has to bear in mind that technology moves on. While we're still supporting old computers, we still have to draw the line somewhere, currently "A Pentium II or Celeron system with 128 MB of RAM is probably a bottom-line configuration.".

Quote Originally Posted by linuxusersince2008 View Post
    Yes. Unfortunately, Lubuntu is a (small-ish) group of volunteers, and we just don't have the manpower to run a separate kernel to the rest of the *buntu family. We probably could, but then the rest of it would go to pot.

Lubuntu runs very well on my Acer Aspire Revo and in a way I prefer it over Xubuntu...

I would like to see the e-mail client change from Sylpheed to Claws Mail in the next release as Claws seems lighter and faster with more features...
    Feel free to pop this on the mailing list, we DO listen to users, y'know.

I think someone's working on Sylpheed to make it more awesome though.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by linuxusersince2008 View Post
    I don't think any of our flavors will have official non-pae support beyond 12.04, but there is an ongoing discussion here:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/930447

Sadly no actual dev has replied

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I can't get gnome-classic or cairo-doc to work right with the new 3.5.0-10 kernel but I am able to install them on precise.

Only Lubuntu desktop will work normally with quantal so far.
    This is Rolling Release
    Warnings for New Beta Testers& Helpful Terminal Commands:
    Running Trusty /devel/@ 5.120GHz32bit/ Please put [ prefix] on New Threads!

if this the case then i'll be looking for a new distribution, linux seems to keep there users happy. i don't get why the kernel can't automatically detect if the hardware supports pae or not it would save alot users but i see ubuntu is going vista on there users, i'm using lubuntu now and it's not very stable. what a shame i do have a pentium 2 350mhz that still works very well but i would be able to upgrade to 12.10. oh well linux mint, vector linux or wattos
    seems to be my last choice or go back to windows 2000 pro.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Cool Re: lubuntu 12.10

One also has to bear in mind that technology moves on. While we're still supporting old computers, we still have to draw the line somewhere, currently "A Pentium II or Celeron system with 128 MB of RAM is probably a bottom-line configuration.".
    My IBM Thinkpad T40, 768 MB ram, 1.5 gHz Ubuntu support stopped with 12.04. During boot, 12.10 checks for pae flag and stops there. Actually, early in Alpha 12.04 the pae check wasn't working so the T40 Unity 2D ran fine. Then the check was put back in so I'm running 12.04 non-pae lubuntu on it. Tried upgrading to 12.10 some packages updated some didn't. Not worth the bother.

I'm running Debian Wheezy LXDE desktop Midori browser on my Raspberry Pi 256 MB. I don't expect Ubuntu will be interested since their development efforts are more toward touchscreen tablets.

Jerry

true, they have to realize not everyone want a tablet, gnome 2 was fine the way it was, matter of fact that reminds me ubuntu 8.04 was great i just tried it on my current setup and compiz works very well but when i upgraded to 10.04 it didn't work anymore ubuntu has been going downhill since then adding features i don't need. lubuntu is suppose to be for older hardware removing non-pae kernel remove that purpose.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast