Thread: What and where are these "Lenses" for Unity

Beans

What and where are these "Lenses" for Unity

Unity is great. You get to click on the top little icon in that Unity bar and type in what you want Ubuntu to search for, then it finds it for you before you even get through typing the full word.

I keep reading how great lenses are everywhere. By using various ones you can specialize those searches. I'd like to do just that. But first, what are these lenses? I don't see them anywhere. Am I supposed to install them from the Ubuntu Service Center? If it is a special icon to click, where is it?

I'd like to know which lenses I am using and swap them around like the other experts. Have a nice day!

wojox is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

Re: What and where are these "Lenses" for Unity

Quote Originally Posted by markMDW View Post
    But first, what are these lenses?
    Unity lenses and scopes
    What lenses for Unity are available?

Quote Originally Posted by markMDW View Post
    I'd like to know which lenses I am using and swap them around like the other experts.

Beans

Re: What and where are these "Lenses" for Unity

Thanks, I read through that. I found this excerpt helpful: The search button on top is called the Dash, the categories delivered by the search are the Lenses, and the search engines that deliver the results are called Scopes. You can use JavaScript to create them. I'll play around with this over the weekend. So many have been talking about particularly named lenses I suppose I will find out how to obtain them later.

>>
    The Dash achieves this by having one or more Lenses that each are responsible for providing one category of search results for the Dash. The user may search the Lens either through the Dash home screen (called global search) or through the Lens’ own page in the Dash by clicking on the Lens’ icon on the Lens Bar.
    On its own, a Lens is not very useful. It can guarantee an icon on the Lens Bar and a page in a the Dash but nothing will happen when the user searches it. This is because a Lens does not actually perform any searches itself. Instead, a Lens will have one or more Scopes which are the actual engines that do the searching for it.<<