Thread: Update Manager Question

Beans

Update Manager Question

Hi;

I am using Ubuntu 12.04 LTS on my Samsung Chronos laptop. My upgrade manager is set to run each Friday. A couple of weeks ago, and today, Update Manager lists quite a few KDE related packages it wants to update. I do not use KDE. I decided at the outset I would try out Unity for a while, and it turned out that I liked it quite a bit.

Is KDE required in some way? The packages it wants to update do NOT appear in my list of installed packages. Why does it want to update KDE when KDE is not in use?

It also is attempting to update/install something called "Find obsolete NVidia Drivers". Why? The Chronos has an ATI card, not an NVidia (it also has a built in Intel card that I am not using). Why would Update Manager want to install this?

It's not a huge big deal, but it is annoying unchecking all those packages every time. I put enough "stuff" on my system without Ubuntu putting stuff on it that I am not going to use. Any idea why it would do this?

Thanks in advance;

G

Beans

Re: Update Manager Question

You probably installed some KDE application and that can be reason why you are getting KDE updates.
    The packages it wants to update do NOT appear in my list of installed packages.
    I will not say that I don´t believe you but you can not update something you didn´t install.Try to run

Code:
    aptitude --display-format '%p' search '?installed!?automatic' > ~/my-packages
    and you will get list of all installed packages.
    There is no greater religion than a truth.

Beans

I've listed my packages a number of different ways, but executed your command. Editing the file and listing all packages that begin with "k":

kbd
    kdelibs-bin
    kerneloops-daemon
    keyboard-configuration
    klibc-utils
    krb5-locales

kdelibs-bin belongs to the KDE family, and maybe klibc-utils, but none of the other packages such as katepart, kde-runtime, and dozens of others are installed. That's why I'm asking. It doesn't make sense.

I used to use KDE back in the day, but started using (and liking) gnome on SLES10. I'm not planning on returning to KDE. Is Ubuntu trying to tell me something?

G

Beans

These libraries may belong to KDE as well ...

libkidletime4
    libklibc
    libkmediaplayer4
    libknewstuff3-4
    libknotifyconfig4
    libkpathsea5
    libkrb5-26-heimdal
    libkrb5-3
    libkrb5support0

G

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

If you install a KDE app (ex: Amarok), Ubuntu will pull in KDE libraries as dependencies.

As a result, you shouldn't be worried - unless you don't want any KDE-based app on your system, since only the libraries (not the kde desktop) is installed. .
    Don't waste your energy trying to change opinions ... Do your thing, and don't care if they like it.

Beans

Maybe I'm not being clear. Update manager is attempting to "update" (I guess install)

kate-data
    kdatepart
    kde-runtime
    kde-runtime-data
    kdelibs-bin
    kdelibs5-data
    kdelibs5-plugin
    kdemultimedia-kio-plugins
    kdoctools
    libkatepartinterfaces4
    libkcddb4
    libkcmutils
    libkde3support4
    libkdeclaritive5 (plasma)
    libkdecore5
    libkdesu5
    liblkdeui5
    libkdewebkit5
    libkmediaplayer4
    libknewstuff3-4
    libknotifyconfig4
    There are actually quite a few more. I have none of these presently installed. Why are they attempting to update?

G

ps ... I've actually been trying NOT to install KDE dependent apps as I did so in 10.04 LTS and never really used the stuff.
    Last edited by gregintexas; October 13th, 2012 at 12:27 AM. Reason: Add ps

Beans

I'm facing the problem, yet again with this morning's updates. Anyone with an idea of where I could go to research the problem?

Beans

Bump.

Beans
    Hidden!

Look in /usr/share/applications for KDE apps