Thread: Bluetooth Serial Port

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Bluetooth Serial Port

I am trying to connect to a bluetooth module I have (this one https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9358) and I am having some trouble. I am using Ubuntu 12.04 x64.

Ubuntu fails to connect when I try to go though the normal bluetooth interface. It gives me a pin number even when I choose do not pair and I have no way to enter the pin on the device.

However, if I use
    Code:
    sudo rfcomm bind /dev/rfcomm0 00:06:66:04:A5:14
    and then open the port with minicom then my bluetooth device shows that it has been connected to. Sadly, it does not work still. If I send data to it it does not output the data.

In Windows I followed this guide (http://jondontdoit.blogspot.com/2011...-tutorial.html) and it worked perfectly.

Randomly when working on this too my computer will lock up and I have to restart. It usually happens when I am trying to connect to the device.

Any ideas on what might be going wrong and how I can fix it?

Thanks,
    Justin

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Bluetooth Serial Port

I got this to work by installing blueman and using that to set up the serial port. Works like a charm now.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Commander_Bob View Post
    I got this to work by installing blueman and using that to set up the serial port. Works like a charm now.
    Thank you for marking your thread. Not only is there now an answer for future forums users but everyone knows that it works.
    Regards, David.
    Please use the Forum search and Wiki search for immediate help
    Please mark your thread as Solved when appropriate
    New to technical forums?: How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Beans

Cheers, I was stuffing around for ages with the command line trying to get a BT serial port working in 12.04. This worked first time.