Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Install Dansguardian on a single desktop

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper

Re: HOWTO: Install Dansguardian on a single desktop

Thank you for reply.

I have gone through the site given and it is good.

Thanks pal
    Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook Remix.
    Ubuntu 10.04 Server edition.

Beans

I tried the automagical script that also installs the GUI. I much appreciate this effort, but I wasn't entirely pleased with the results on Xubuntu 6.10. It seems to have messed up some symbolic links and I don't really know what all it did; anyway, after I ran it I couldn't play streaming audio or my audio cd's. This isn't a complaint though; the script wasn't written with Xfce in mind and there was a clear warning that the system could be messed up by the script. So, I'm going to go with the manual install you've posted here and, if necessary and practical for me, write a simple gui to administrate Dansguardian -- without using gambas.

Anyone have any special suggestions for Xubuntu 6.10 users on this? (I know one other person posted that the auto install script worked great with Xubuntu, but I think he was using Dapper or there was some other difference between his set-up and mine.) Also, I'd rather that the gui lack religious references. I don't mean to offend; I definitely think Ubuntu CE deserves credit for their focus on this and I've thanked them in another thread. I'm just not entirely comfortable advertising Ubuntu Christian Edition to those who may not be interested in using it.

Thanks for any help you can offer, and thanks for the How-to, nanomad.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Hey I've got an issue; internet connection is down a few minutes after Dansguardian was working, so I tried to restart it (/etc/init.d/dansguardian restart) and it gave me this:
    Code:
    Restarting DansGuardian: Error reading file:
    Error reading file:
    Error opening bannedextensionlist
    Error opening filter list:/etc/dansguardian/dansguardianf1.conf
    Error reading filter group conf files(s).
    Error parsing the dansguardian.conf file or other DansGuardian configuration files
    I've checked and the bannedextensionlist is there, along with dansguardianf1.conf. I don't see what the problem is...

Beans

Might need some more background info. . .
    Did you do the install as per the first post here?
    Have you made any other modifications?
    Is it still the same after a complete restart?

--Tony

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper

Tony,

I'm interested in installing dansguardian and appreciate the how-to. My one question (for now) is in reference to the final NOTE in your how-to: PLEASE NOTE: The dansguardian system that is doing the filtering on your network using this configuration CANNOT be connected directly to the internet - very important!!

I'm running my ubuntu client as a firewall/proxy for my little home network and I just want to be clear about what you're saying. Can you be a little more specific as to the definition of "directly connected" and why this is "very important"?

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by tonhou View Post
    Might need some more background info. . .
    Did you do the install as per the first post here?
    Have you made any other modifications?
    Is it still the same after a complete restart?
    Yes, I installed based on the first post. I assume there are corrections or other variations after that, but it seemed to work at first so I didn't bother reading futher.
    I haven't made any modifications besides simple values in the dansguardian.conf file, such as 1, 2, 3, etc. or on | off.
    I decided to remove dansguardian, tinyproxy, and firehol for now and try again later. I don't believe I restarted completely before removing it though.

Beans

I'm interested in installing dansguardian and appreciate the how-to. My one question (for now) is in reference to the final NOTE in your how-to: PLEASE NOTE: The dansguardian system that is doing the filtering on your network using this configuration CANNOT be connected directly to the internet - very important!!
    You really need a separate router or dedicated box with firewall connecting to the internet. The filtering can be done by the Ubuntu configuration with DG, firehol and tinyproxy as above. If you were to connect this system to the internet then you would be wide open to the internet because of the firehol (firewall) setting which is allowing other systems to access it (the command "server webcache accept".)

It is probably not a very tidy way to do filtering for a home network really and as mentioned to another poster above if you want one system as a gateway/server you are better to go to something like Clarkconnect.

--Tony

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper

OK. I do have a router between my system and the modem. And as for the "tidy-ness" factor...as it sits, this machine is my firewall/gateway/proxy already. Plus, my network is composed of only two systems, this one included.

Thanks for the help on this.

Beans

Angry Re: HOWTO: Install Dansguardian on a single desktop

What a great how to. Thank you very much.
    It works a treat on my Linux box, but (there always seems to be a but...) if I setup the proxy information for the browsers on the other machines on my network, it doesn't work.

Let me try and explain that again
    If I browse from my Ubuntu box the content filtering works a charm.
    However if I setup the proxy in the browsers of my other networked machines and point them to the Ubuntu box all web browsing comes to a halt for the networked machines...

Any ideas what could be the cause?

Beans

I have isolated the problem - I think. Unfortunately I don't know how to fix it
    Basically if I switch off the Firehol dansguardian works via the proxies from the other computers on my network.

It is probably easy to fix but being a noob with this stuff I don't even know where to start.

Thanks in advance for helping me out

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast