Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Install Dansguardian on a single desktop

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: HOWTO: Install Dansguardian on a single desktop

Okay installed it. It did not create a menu but i can open it by issuing the following command;
    kdesu webstrict (i use kde)
    the gui looks great but I do not think it is working. Couple of things I noticed...
    i tried testing it by trying to add yahoo.com to the blocked site and url list..(i forget which one is for the whole site vs part of a site) nonetheless... yahoo is still accessible... not sure if the settings are being added to dansguardian config. In reading the FAQ, it appears that it only supports firefox? which is strange because the filtering i setup using the tutorial works across all browsers(iceweasel and konqueror). So i'm not sure what webstrict is referring to. but when i try to lock/unlock the firefox settings in webstrict, it keeps telling me that it does not find firefox on my system....
    So yes the install works, but the program itself does not appear to be making the changes accordingly... Unless I dont know how to use webstrict correctly...
    If you have any suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated.

Beans

i tried testing it by trying to add yahoo.com to the blocked site and url list..(i forget which one is for the whole site vs part of a site) nonetheless... yahoo is still accessible... not sure if the settings are being added to dansguardian config
    Did you restart the dansguardian service? (open the log to see if there are errors). You can check if the config files are well updated by opening them directly from /etc/dansguardian folder.

i setup using the tutorial works across all browsers(iceweasel and konqueror). So i'm not sure what webstrict is referring to. but when i try to lock/unlock the firefox settings in webstrict, it keeps telling me that it does not find firefox on my system....
    If you configured dansguardian for all browsers no need to use the lock/unlock button.

Beans
    Distro

i did restart the service using the restart button on the webstrict interface....
    It appears that it is creating a seperate installation... by that i mean here is what my /etc/dansguardian directory looks like prior to installing webstrict;
    # ls
    authplugins dansguardian.conf downloadmanagers lists
    contentscanners dansguardianf1.conf languages

now the bannedsiteslist or bannedurlist is in the /lists directory above...so i can go in there and for example put yahoo.com on the bannedsiteslist and restart dansgaurdian and yahoo is blocked.

But after installing webstrict, my directory looks like
    authplugins blacklists
    dansguardian.conf lists dansguardianf1.conf languages exceptionphraselist logsitelist
    bannedextensionlist contentregexplist exceptionregexpurllist logurllist
    bannediplist contentscanners exceptionsitelist phraselists
    bannedmimetypelist downloadmanagers exceptionurllist pics
    bannedphraselist exceptionextensionlist filtergroupslist urlregexplist
    bannedregexpheaderlist exceptionfilesitelist greysitelist weightedphraselist
    bannedregexpurllist exceptionfileurllist greyurllist
    bannedsitelist exceptioniplist headerregexplist
    bannedurllist exceptionmimetypelist logregexpurllist

If i then use webstrict to add yahoo.com to the bannedsiteslist. it puts it in the /etc/dansguardian/bannedsiteslist, which as I am understanding it... this change should be showing up in the /etc/dansguardian/lists/bannedsiteslist.
    So i think this is why when using webstrict it does not work... because the changes are not being made to the proper file(s)... not sure if using a symbolic link of some sort can resolve this issue. Again thanks for your assistance, and any suggestions you have are greatly appreciated.

Beans

How did you install dansguardian? (using a standalone .deb file, from a repository...)

Webstrict updates files in the default location of dansguardian, when it is installed from the ubuntu repository.

Also, take a look at the dansguardian.conf file, paths such as "bannediplist = '/etc/dansguardian/bannediplist'" are defined there, is there the /list subdirectory?

Beans
    Distro

installed it from the repo that you instructed....added the ppa.launchpad.net repo you mentioned to sources.list, and the apt-get update
    apt-get install webstrict...
    I don't know why the directory structure is different... i have the following versions installed

dansguardian 2.9.9.4-1
    tinyproxy 1.6.3-2.1
    firehol 1.256-3

yes in /etc/dansguardian/dansguardian.conf
    the banned and exception IP lists are pointing into the /etc/dansguardian/lists/*lists
    Last edited by houms; June 20th, 2008 at 08:57 PM.

Beans

installed it from the repo that you instructed....added the ppa.launchpad.net repo you mentioned to sources.list, and the apt-get update
    apt-get install webstrict...
    No I meant the installation of dansguardian, prior to webstrict. Anyway, the ubuntu version of dansguardian is 2.8.0.6 (in hardy), so maybe they change the config files location in 2.9.9.4.
    The 2.9.9.4 version is available in the ubuntu intrepid repos, I'll test it when I have time.

So, if you modify the dansguardian.conf file by removing the 'list' subfolder for all paths, does it work?

Beans
    Distro

Okay I think I made a mistake because I retested the install and this time it didnt create any new directories, at least not as i stated earlier...my ls output for /etc/dansguardian after webscript is

authplugins dansguardian.conf downloadmanagers lists
    contentscanners dansguardianf1.conf languages

I can open webscript and again using the same example as last time yahoo does not get blocked. So I'm not sure where webscript is placing these "lists" files....currently the versions i mentioned previously are installed plus the webscript package from launchpad, and the above is what my /etc/dansguardian has. I know dansguardian is working properly as i mentioned earlier, but i'm curious as to where webstrict is looking for the "lists".I assume its where the ubuntu version places them. I appreciate your time and efforts. Hope your results yield some progress. I wil keep you posted on my end if i figure anything out.

Beans

I've updated WebStrict to check where config files are (in /etc/dansguardian or /etc/dansguardian/lists). The new version is available in our repository. Please give it a try and tell me if it works.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by jmehdi View Post
    I've updated WebStrict to check where config files are (in /etc/dansguardian or /etc/dansguardian/lists). The new version is available in our repository. Please give it a try and tell me if it works.
    I can confirm that it is working with sidux now.... This is a great way for non-techies to take control of this wonderful content filter..Thanks for all your efforts jmehdi. Great work...

I have one note to make though. If you want to stop the filter completely for whatever reason(maintenance,etc). just stopping dansguardian/tinyproxy using webstrict's "stop" button will render your web useless. The reason seems to be that firehol is still running. so to completely stop filtering but still use the net(unfiltered), I had to issue
    /etc/init.d/firehol stop
    in addition to using the stop button in webstrict. Not sure if it would be possible to add firehol to webstrict.?by that i mean have the stop, start, and restart buttons control firehol as well. Also I have Iceweasel RC2 instead of firefox installed. The firefox button (lock and unlock) says firefox is not installed on this system when pressed. Not so sure if its necessary to have the functionality in this setup, since the tutorial filters no matter what browser your using. Any opinions on this would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks again jmehdi.

Also the access log buttons do not work.
    Last edited by houms; July 1st, 2008 at 04:28 PM.

Beans

I can confirm that it is working with sidux now.... This is a great way for non-techies to take control of this wonderful content filter..Thanks for all your efforts jmehdi. Great work...
    Great And thanks to you for your feedback and your suggestions to improve webstrict.

Not sure if it would be possible to add firehol to webstrict.
    I've uploaded a new version ; I check if the services are installed (dansguardian, tinyproxy, firehol) and the start/stop/restart buttons manage them all. Please give it a try.

The firefox button (lock and unlock) says firefox is not installed on this system when pressed. Not so sure if its necessary to have the functionality in this setup, since the tutorial filters no matter what browser your using. Any opinions on this would be greatly appreciated.
    This button works only with Firefox 2.0, and in your case, as you use firehol, it is useless. Maybe I'll remove it in future versions.

Also the access log buttons do not work.
    Does this file exist: /var/log/dansguardian/access.log ?

Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast