Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Install Dansguardian on a single desktop

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Install Dansguardian on a single desktop

oo
    Last edited by Jon Bn; August 12th, 2007 at 01:06 AM.

Beans

I was able to do all of the reinstalls and reconfigures for dansgaurdian but when I tried to restart firehol it failed and displayed a long list of errors. I tried reinstalling firehol in the synaptic package manager hoping that this would reset my configurations. It didn't work. I wish there was a simplified version of dansguardian with a gui interface in the add and remove programs. Is there anyway I could get dansguardian without needing a degree in computer science?

Beans

i have installed dansguardian just fine, everything's working...

but the problem is that when i restart dansguardian (sudo /etc/init.d/dansguardian restart), it seems that the process hangs...

i can stop dansguardian just fine (/etc/init.d/dansguardian stop works flawlessly), but when i try to start it again, it just says "Starting DansGuardian: dansguardian" and it stays there forever...

does anybody know why this is happening?

Beans

I have been reading this thread and trying to install dan guardian as well. i have some difficulties as follows

~$ sudo dpkg-reconfigure dansguardian
    Password:
    * Stopping DansGuardian dansguardian [ OK ]
    * Starting DansGuardian dansguardian Error connecting to parent proxy
    [fail]
    invoke-rc.d: initscript dansguardian, action "start" failed.

any ideas on how to fix this? I am still quite a bit of a newbie and only recently returned to linux
    thanks

Beans

If you get a lot of "runtime command failed to execute (returned error 2)" when starting firehol, there is a fix here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=538543

Beans

I have dansguardian installed however I have the following extension dpkg-new after all my files?

What have I done wrong and how can I reinstall dansguardian correctly?

Beans

I have installed Gutsy and I want to lock the Firefox proxy settings (by modifying the firefox.cfg file) but it doesn't work (It worked on Feisty)
    Any idea?

Beans

This really NEEDS to be Alot easier and more gui based. Too many simple windows apps like this for there not to be at least 1 linux app that is simple to setup and use.

Too much command line and editing by hand.

Beans

I have installed Gutsy and I want to lock the Firefox proxy settings (by modifying the firefox.cfg file) but it doesn't work (It worked on Feisty)
    I found that on Gutsy the firefox.cfg file contains one crypted line. If I add the "lockpref..." lines then firefox doesn't start ("error reading configuration file")...
    If I remove the crypted line and put the lockpref settings Firefox starts but doesn't take them in account...

help please

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jmehdi View Post
    I found that on Gutsy the firefox.cfg file contains one crypted line. If I add the "lockpref..." lines then firefox doesn't start ("error reading configuration file")...
    If I remove the crypted line and put the lockpref settings Firefox starts but doesn't take them in account...

help please
    I found the same, but managed to get it to work by byteshifting the file as explained on this page:

http://togami.com/%7Ewarren/guides/mozlockdown/

(info was found in this same thread, here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...2&postcount=14 )

That worked for me.

But now I am trying to figure out how to lockdown firefox32 on my 64bit machine. The 64bit Firefox is locked but not the 32bit.

Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast