Thread: HOWTO: Install Dansguardian on a single desktop

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: HOWTO: Install Dansguardian on a single desktop

Quote Originally Posted by ant2ne View Post
    IDK if this is mentioned or not. I didn't read all 11 pages. But,
    OP says and it should be edited for at least for ubuntu 9.04 with FF 3.5
    The first post is belong to Tonhou, not me. As such, I could not edit it. Actually I have make a deb package to automate the whole process, which is already updated for karmic as well. You could check below:

http://ubuntuce.com/repos/Ubuntu_CE/...ui_2.3_all.deb

It also will enable you to share internet sharing (if you have two network cards) or internet filtering sharing (if you haveo nly one network card) easily.

This package is made for ubuntu christian edition version.

DK
    Last edited by david_kt; November 22nd, 2009 at 01:16 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by david_kt View Post
    The first post is belong to Tonhou, not me. As such, I could not edit it.
    ahhh
    Actually I have make a deb package to automate the whole process, which is already updated for karmic as well. You could check below:

http://ubuntuce.com/repos/Ubuntu_CE/...ui_2.3_all.deb
    awesome. I wish I would have known about that before hand. Because I got the other method up and running already.

It also will enable you to share internet sharing (if you have two network cards) or internet filtering sharing (if you haveo nly one network card) easily.
    I'm not sure I understand you. You mean, it can function as an inline and as transparent proxy? I am interested in setting up an in line box to function as a dansguardian content filter, site to site VPN, firewall and a squid web cache proxy.

Do you have any advice on how to filter with dansguardian by user? I want to filter the kids, but not the grownups.
    Last edited by ant2ne; November 22nd, 2009 at 10:35 PM.
    Registered Linux User: 450747 Registered Ubuntu User: 16269

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi, can anybody help me?

Ever since the first post, dansguardian, tinyproxy, and firehol just filters my Server, but NOT the whole LAN network.

Here's mysetup: Internet -> modem -> router -> switch -> Server, workstation1, workstation2, etc... I'm using Ubuntu 9.04. I'm only using 1 interface card which is eth0

I've followed the guide step by step.

--------------------------
    1. dansguardian.conf

#UNCONFIGURED
    filterport = 8080
    proxyip = 127.0.0.1
    proxyport = 3128

sudo gedit /etc/default/firehol
    START_FIREHOL=YES

3.firehol.conf

iptables -t filter -I OUTPUT -d 127.0.0.1 -p tcp --dport 3128 -m owner ! --uid-owner dansguardian -j DROP

transparent_squid 8080 "root root"

interface any world
    policy drop
    protection strong
    client all accept
    server cups accept
    server webcache accept

4. tinyproxy.conf
    User root
    Group root
    Port 3128
    ViaProxyName "tinyproxy"

If I setup the proxy in the firefox on my LAN it works, but if I don't it doesn't. Help!
    It's OK, everything we know will become obsolete at some time.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderDGreat View Post
    If I setup the proxy in the firefox on my LAN it works, but if I don't it doesn't. Help!
    If you only have one network card, I think you have to set proxy on client computers.

DK

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi david_kt - thanks for replying. So how can I restrict the clients from changing their proxies? Because I can't possibly get to every computer on our workplace. Also, if I just setup proxies on their browsers, wouldn't they be able to just change it right away? What're the alternatives? They're using WinXP.
    It's OK, everything we know will become obsolete at some time.

Beans

Hi All, has anyone else not only had this problem but I have an extra part as well? Updating to Karmic broke Dan's Guardian as described. However I have an extra problem, in that, even after uninstalling dansguardian, I am unable to browse at all. If I reinstall it, I have the limited connection issue. Does anyone know what else might be blocking pages even after uninstalling dansguardian? At this point I am fine just not even having it any more but currently that is not an option.

Thanks in advance

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderDGreat View Post
    Hi david_kt - thanks for replying. So how can I restrict the clients from changing their proxies? Because I can't possibly get to every computer on our workplace. Also, if I just setup proxies on their browsers, wouldn't they be able to just change it right away? What're the alternatives? They're using WinXP.
    1. Set the router to accept only the server, and deny other computer access.
    By doing this, if the client computers remove the proxy setting, they would not have internet access.

2. Buy additional network card for the server: 1 card connect to internet, the other connect to LAN.

DK
    Last edited by david_kt; December 1st, 2009 at 05:13 AM. Reason: typo

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by atryus28 View Post
    Hi All, has anyone else not only had this problem but I have an extra part as well? Updating to Karmic broke Dan's Guardian as described. However I have an extra problem, in that, even after uninstalling dansguardian, I am unable to browse at all. If I reinstall it, I have the limited connection issue. Does anyone know what else might be blocking pages even after uninstalling dansguardian? At this point I am fine just not even having it any more but currently that is not an option.

Thanks in advance
    Uninstall dansguardian and all the packages you install with dansguardian (tinyproxy and firehol may be?).

DK

Beans

That's the problem, did not see that tiny proxy and firehol were part of the install.

I will give that a shot at home later. Thank you. I have a feeling this is the issue. Didn't really expect an answer so quickly.

Have a good one!

Beans

I have quick question? seeking your help.

I am using tinyproxy and dansgaurdian and its working fine (http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/I...an_on_LinuxMCE)

Tinyproxy and dansgaurdian on same system and others connecting to wireless router(DHCP). How do i bypass Tinyproxy/dansgaurdian for specific user using mac address(because i am getting DHCP).

Thanks in advance for the same.

Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast