Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need some help here, new to using Linux.

Beans

Re: Need some help here, new to using Linux.

I can't even boot into Windows 7, I probably just need to install grub or grub2 so it can boot from the hard drive.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by nothingspecial View Post
    Hi

When pasting terminal output, please use code tags. The easiest way to do this is highlight the pasted text then click the # in the formatting option at the top of the posting box.

Thanks.
    Oh, sorry I didn't know that was for stuff like that. Thanks for putting it in a code box.

Beans

I am trying to run Boot Repair while running Ubuntu live off the CD and see if that works.
    When I use the steps on the Grub2/Installing Community Documentation, I put this into terminal:

Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    and it gives me a list of the partitions. I'm assuming that the first one, sda1 is the one where I installed Ubuntu over Windows 7 since it has the largest number of blocks and says under system: Linux. If not, then is there something like sda0, or is sda1 the default HD.

Edit: I tried installing it like in the document, but still get an error can't open file when starting up. At least now it's recognizing that Ubuntu is there since it gets to the loading screen before failing.
    Last edited by Redstiza; October 12th, 2012 at 06:55 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Arrow Re: Need some help here, new to using Linux.

Hello

The Boot-Info shows that you have erased Windows and installed Ubuntu instead.
    I see no problem, except that your Ubuntu boot files may be too far from the start of the disk. To fix this, use Gparted (included in the Ubuntu CD) to reduce your sda1 partition from 158GB to 100GB.

Quote Originally Posted by Redstiza View Post
    it gets to the loading screen before failing.
    What is this screen looking like? do you see the GRUB menu?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by YannBuntu View Post
    Hello

The Boot-Info shows that you have erased Windows and installed Ubuntu instead.
    I see no problem, except that your Ubuntu boot files may be too far from the start of the disk. To fix this, use Gparted (included in the Ubuntu CD) to reduce your sda1 partition from 158GB to 100GB.

What is this screen looking like? do you see the GRUB menu?
    I have tried to install Ubuntu again, only this time I was setting up the partitions manually so that it would install grub in the correct area. It was going fine until the Installer kept crashing. I made a new CD and let it burn slower, but now it tells me either the hard drive is old and needs to be replaced, or that it's overheating. The laptop gets hot enough to burn me sometimes so I figured it was that and placed the whole thing on top of a small fan I had. I got to the point where I was at the 'something else' menu, but it wouldn't let me click install after setting up the partitions (the button was grayed out.) So I restarted the computer, and now I can't even get to that menu because the buttons for continue are greyed out when I select something else, erase previous os and install Ubuntu, or install Ubuntu alongside.

Also, the screen was just purple, it had the Ubuntu logo with dots under it, then went to the other screen. There wasn't any GRUB menu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

If it is a single boot with no other OS I don't think it normally shows a GRUB menu.Only my dual boots show a menu.
    You might be able to display the GRUB menu by hitting <left shift> repeatedly when the system is booting.

If your HDD is faulty you could put Puppy Linux on a USB stick or a CD and boot that.
    Puppy will run on a system with no HDD.
    Last edited by Paulgirardin; October 15th, 2012 at 12:50 AM.
    14.04 amd64

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

That overheating problem doesn't sound good. What is getting hot in there? Is it the HD or something else? Is this a laptop or desktop? Has this just started happening or does it generally get that hot?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Ball View Post
    That overheating problem doesn't sound good. What is getting hot in there? Is it the HD or something else? Is this a laptop or desktop? Has this just started happening or does it generally get that hot?
    It's been happening for a while, but no matter how cool I get that laptop by putting it on top of fans, I still get the error. It's most likely the hard drive. I am going to order a new on off amazon and see if that's the problem.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12