Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GRUB issues....

Beans

Re: GRUB issues....

Yeah, I had a previous issue and worked through it using your links. Anyway, would uploading images of the different GRUBs I'm being presented help?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Glad to look at them just to see what issue may be.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Another user just posted this:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2070491
    Disable the RAID, for me it was using the Intel rapid management thingy and telling it to disable the acceleration or the use of the SSD. If you have a different system, just disable the RAID system then install Ubuntu. Once installed you can then re-enable it.
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

For me to try that fix, would I need to reinstall Ubuntu again? Or could I just disable it, recreate the GRUB.cfg and then re-enable it? Anyway, here are the images of the 2 different GRUBs that are being loaded in different situations. I took those pictures with my phone so they aren't the greatest haha.

Also, here is my new bootinfo file: Here.
    Last edited by arandomstring; October 13th, 2012 at 07:06 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Script is not picking up the new grub2 2.00. Your first entry is from grub2 1.99 which is probably from the MBR of sda. Is system somehow switching which MBR to boot from? But I do not understand why you get different menus?

But you have only one install, so I do not see how you can have two versions of grub at the same time.

Post this:

#show versions
    grub-install -v
    uname -a

It may be just easier to make sure you have the same version of grub2 in both MBR or you may need to purge & reinstall grub.

Your first pastebin was 12.04, but now you show 12.10? Have you decided to test the version being released in a few days? Until it is released you are a tester.
    Last edited by oldfred; October 13th, 2012 at 03:49 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    Script is not picking up the new grub2 2.00. Your first entry is from grub2 1.99 which is probably from the MBR of sda. Is system somehow switching which MBR to boot from? But I do not understand why you get different menus?
    Yeah, I think that is what is happening as well. I'll try your commands out.

Also, I realize I'm running 12.10, I did a fresh install to try to correct the problem and thought I'd use the soon to be released 12.10.

Here is the output of the commands:
    Code:
    :~$ grub-install -v
    grub-install (GRUB) 2.00-7ubuntu10
    :~$ uname -a
    Linux Joshua 3.5.0-17-generic #28-Ubuntu SMP Tue Oct 9 19:31:23 UTC 2012 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    Should I use boot repair to purge and reinstall GRUB?
    If I do use it, should I select to install it on the SSD as well when I'm given this screen?

FINAL EDIT: You're going to hate me for wasting your time haha, but I solved the issue. What I did was used boot-repair to purge and reinstall GRUB on sda (Main Harddrive) then booted into windows. Once I was in Windows I disabled Intel Rapid Storage Technology thing and then rebooted. The problem was gone so I went to Ubuntu, ran
    Code:
     sudo update-grub
    and rebooted again into Windows to re-enable the Intel RST. The problem was gone after this. Thanks for your help Old Fred and speedy replies!!!
    Last edited by arandomstring; October 13th, 2012 at 08:12 PM. Reason: Marking as solved and adding solution

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Glad you got it sorted out.

Something about the Intel RST. But I do not fully understand how it works.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12