Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wine - MS Office 2010 - can't open existing documents

Beans

Re: Wine - MS Office 2010 - can't open existing documents

Hi cbanakis,
    thanks for clarifying - yes there are multiple versions of Word etc in the "open with" window that pops up.
    I see what you mean now and will try your method for working out which is the right one to use.
    Thank you!!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hi Bella,

Good to know that you have a PC running just Windows to fall back to. This is excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by Bella Wilfer View Post
    I can see the files quite normally and I either try opening them using Word or by double clicking on them in the "Wine view C" window - but nothing happens.
    It is important to note that because you have decided to run Wine, you are by necessity dealing with something that is more complicated than a simple Ubuntu install. It's not difficult, but there is just a little more complexity.

For example, you now have 2 file managers that you can use: one is native to Ubuntu and is called nautilus. The other is a file manager specific to Wine. In Windows (XP), it would have been Windows Explorer, but Wine substitutes a Wine version of it called Wine Explorer. When you are looking at files:

1. Which File Manager are you using (nautilus or Wine Explorer)?, and
    2. Where do you place your MS Office documents?

At the moment I have only 2 files on there. One is a document that I downloaded from my mail account to see if Word was working. When that didn't open, then I tried creating a document with Word, which worked. I saved that to the same folder on the C drive...when I try to open them "nothing happens".
    I don't quite understand. Do you mean to say that even the one you created with Word does not subsequently open? You can create it the first time but, once you close it, you cannot open it thereafter? If so, it may be a problem with permissions (one of Linux's powerful security features). However, we need clarification from you about this behaviour.

For my work, I unfortunately *do* need MS Office - tho I would be glad if I didn't!
    ...I simply can't afford to risk any tiny changes...
    Okay. Understand completely. No other option. Therefore, the primary goal is to create a system that plays nicely with MSOffice. This goal will have application later in my reply.

Although I *did* feel proud of myself for having gotten Wine and Office to (eventually) install I am now concerned that I *will* keep running into problems with it, as you DuckHook suggest.
    I guess I was a bit naive when I googled "Ubuntu + Office" and read that the solution was "Wine".
    You were not naive. Brave, rather. The jump to Linux, especially for non-technical users is tougher than a lot of technical people think. However, now that you are here, let's explore solutions.

The computer I've installed this on, btw, is my 2nd comp - a back up comp in case my laptop dies...
    Like previously said, this is great. Here is my first really important piece of advice:

Keep using the Ubuntu computer as your backup computer. Do not use it for production work until we get this matter sorted out. Once you are happy with the way it works, then you can consider slowly migrating your real work to it. Until then, think of it as experimental.

So now I'm wondering whether it's worth the hassle trying to get Office to work on there, if it's only going to keep having glitches in future, or just leave it as a purely Ubuntu/ Linux etc. PC?
    For my part, I think it is worth trying, but only you can make this call. I should add that there are many alternatives to achieving what you need. If your computer is powerful enough, another alternative is to install a VM (virtual machine) running Windows. This is different than Wine because you would be running a real copy of Windows inside a "make believe" computer that, in turn, runs within Ubuntu. This normally solves many issues because you would be running MSOffice on a real Windows operating system instead of a Linux OS that has been modified to run Windows programs (Wine).

Yet another alternative is to configure your desktop computer for dual boot. This will allow you to choose between Windows or Ubuntu at boot. It is not as "elegant" a solution as either Wine or a VM (because you can't run both OSes at once), but it is also simpler and easier to use.

My suggestion: if you have both the time and the inclination, exploring the alternatives is both rewarding and educational. If you just want your computer to do real work and have no interest in fiddling with Ubuntu, then simple is best and you should run only Linux apps on Ubuntu.

And if I do try to fix the issue of opening documents with Word, should I get a local computer shop to help me? Cos as I said, I'm starting to feel out of my depth.
    If this is just a backup machine to your laptop, then don't spend the money on a computer shop. If the ship people don't know Linux, the advice you will get here is often much better.

If you are still game (and only if so), then let's role up our sleeves and get going:

1. If you know the precise model of CPU, amount of system memory and size of hard drive you have, then it's easiest to just tell us. If you don't know this info, then open up a terminal. We are going to see what sort of hardware and how much capacity you have.

Copy the following commands into the terminal and post the results back to this thread:

Code:
    lscpu
    Code:
    free
    Code:
    df
    2. Next, we check to see if you installed wine correctly. Again post results back here:

Code:
    ls -ln ~/.wine
    also, to compare to your own user ID
    Code:
    id
    3. Next, we find where you store you MSOffice docs, in particular, one of the files that you can't open. Example: say it's "unique_document.doc", then the location can be found by typing the following:

Code:
    locate unique_document.doc
    this will result in a string that looks something like this: /home/your_name/Documents/unique_document.doc

Yours will look different because every user stores data in different places. The important thing is to note the full path.

4. Let's determine ownership and permissions for this document:

Code:
    ls -ln /home/your_name/Documents/unique_document.doc
    I know that all of the preceding is awfully arcane, but don't be discouraged. All of these things can also be done using graphical tools that you are more used to, but since the objective is to get you working first, we are using tools that are easier to work with on a help forum. That's more than enough for now. Should be enough to give us some clues.

Beans

just open word or excel or whatever first. then go to file open and choose the document. that will work.

Beans

Hi,
    sorry, things have been a bit busy here, I've not gotten around to tackling this issue any further.
    I will go and try the things you've suggested DuckHook and report back in a few minutes.

I've reached the same conclusion as you about spending money on a computer shop.
    Now that I can open 2 of 4 documents, I'm less puzzled than when it wasn't opening anything...

So I was almost going to change this thread to "SOLVED" actually!

But I will give it another shot and see what happens...

Beans

The reason I started this thread is cos I wanted to use this PC for more than just "backup".
    So I was kind of "desperate" for it to work properly with MS Office 2010, but now, I've been able to change plans...
    In fact, you may be horrified how computer-dumb I am...
    I am running Office 2003 on my main PC and need to continue using that for work, but also need to use Office 2010 for the new file formats (docx etc)
    Anyway - I'm sooo silly, that I didn't realise that you can a) run both versions side by side, or b) download a converter tool from MS to allow Office 2003 to use all docx files...

So, I bought a 2nd hand DELL as a backup and have installed Ubuntu, Wine and Office 2010 on that...

In the meantime I've managed to get both Office 2003 and 2010 working on my main PC, so the backup PC has become less "important" at the moment...

So, I'm going to try those commands suggested above... and then you may also be horrified what a stupid 2nd hand PC I've bought.... Ugh! Me and computers is not a match made in heaven!

Beans

Okay, so now, bit by bit...

For example, you now have 2 file managers that you can use: one is native to Ubuntu and is called nautilus. The other is a file manager specific to Wine. In Windows (XP), it would have been Windows Explorer, but Wine substitutes a Wine version of it called Wine Explorer. When you are looking at files:

1. Which File Manager are you using (nautilus or Wine Explorer)?, and
    2. Where do you place your MS Office documents?

Quote:
    At the moment I have only 2 files on there. One is a document that I downloaded from my mail account to see if Word was working. When that didn't open, then I tried creating a document with Word, which worked. I saved that to the same folder on the C drive...when I try to open them "nothing happens".
    I don't quite understand. Do you mean to say that even the one you created with Word does not subsequently open? You can create it the first time but, once you close it, you cannot open it thereafter? If so, it may be a problem with permissions (one of Linux's powerful security features). However, we need clarification from you about this behaviour.
    I'm not sure about Nautilus - when I click on the icons next to the "Dash" icon, one of them is called "Home Folder" - this is what I was using as a File Manager generally. To open MS Office Programs or Files, I was using the Wine Explorer.

Yes, as you asked, I was (successfully) creating a document using Word. Then closing the document. And then not able to re-open it. (I had left Word open.)

Now that I've found the "solution" of also closing Word and then opening the document using the Wine Explorer, I can at least open that document. But I guess I can't open a 2nd document, cos then Word is already open (tho I will check that again, too).

My MS documents are in "Documents" which is in "My Folder".

Beans

This is the result for "lscpu"

Architecture: i686
    CPU op-mode(s): 32-bit, 64-bit
    Byte Order: Little Endian
    CPU(s): 2
    On-line CPU(s) list: 0,1
    Thread(s) per core: 1
    Core(s) per socket: 2
    Socket(s): 1
    Vendor ID: GenuineIntel