Thread: If I restore Win 7 from recovery partition, will BIOS revert to older version too?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

If I restore Win 7 from recovery partition, will BIOS revert to older version too?

Dear community,

If I restore my Windows operating system from the recovery partition, will the BIOS revert to the original version as when I first got my computer?

Thank you.

Beans

Re: If I restore Win 7 from recovery partition, will BIOS revert to older version too

No. The BIOS and the OS are entirely independent of each other.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: If I restore Win 7 from recovery partition, will BIOS revert to older version too

Ok, thanks. I thought that since I've updated the BIOS within Windows, the BIOS would revert if Windows reverted.

Beans

Nope....there are BIOS utilities that will allow you to update it from within the OS, but outside of that, they are very much separate. The OS is actually more reliant on the BIOS than the other way around.

About the only way you can screw up your BIOS is by flashing it with the wrong firmware or frying it with some sort of static. It is seldom that they go bad on their own.