Thread: Asus k55a installation dual boot problem

Beans

Asus k55a installation dual boot problem

Hello all,

I recently attempted to dual boot windows 7 with an old 9.10 ubuntu live usb using install side by side option. the installation seemed to work properly however now i cant boot anything. The message "reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key" appears instead of any kind of boot sequence.

Any help here would be great, particularly with recovering windows. there is also a windows recovery partition that i can't access.

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Asus k55a installation dual boot problem

Quote Originally Posted by red111 View Post
    Hello all,

I recently attempted to dual boot windows 7 with an old 9.10 ubuntu live usb using install side by side option. the installation seemed to work properly however now i cant boot anything. The message "reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key" appears instead of any kind of boot sequence.

Any help here would be great, particularly with recovering windows. there is also a windows recovery partition that i can't access.

Thanks
    I have an Asus k55a as well. If yours is like mine, then Windows 7 is installed in EFI mode. I'm not sure that Ubuntu 9.10 even supports EFI booting, so I suspect that that is at least part of the problem. You might try performing steps 1 and 4 of the instructions at the top of this link to see if that helps at all: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI
    Asus K55A (Core i5-3210M @ 2.5GHz/8GB RAM/120GB SSD/Intel HD 4000) with Ubuntu 12.10 Beta 2
    Compaq Presario C700 (Pentium Dual-Core @ 1.6GHz/2.5GB RAM/500GB HDD/Intel GM965) with Arch Linux and Linux Mint Debian Edition