Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: operating system not found after updates

Beans

Re: operating system not found after updates

Havew you already tried to re-install grub?

http://wiki.ubuntuusers.de/GRUB_2/Reparatur

Beans

Yes, I re-installed grub using the method described in the links from the previous posts. I have also looked at the link you provided and it appears very similar to what I did. I reinstalled grub in efi mode using a live usb stick. Everything appeared to work fine, no error messages, etc. Still, when I rebooted without the live usb, the error message "Operating System not found" immediately came up.

Josh

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

If you are using UEFI mode and the boot options are deleted, you will probably have to enter the bios and create new boot options. Not sure how UEFI works exactly, but I have seen it mentioned that you create entries for booting from inside bios too.

There should be some boot manager or something.
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 18.04 LTS 64bit

Beans

The boot options in the BIOS are intact with the HDD set as first followed by the USB devices and ending with the network adapter. I have tried various boot priority orders with no effect.

Beans

I'm nearing the point wiping the hard drive and starting over. If anyone has any more ideas about how I might rescue this system before I wipe it, please let me know. I'm not looking forward to the hours upon hours of tweaks and downloads that will follow a fresh install.

Since this is a Lenovo x120e, more or less a suped up netbook, do any of you recommend going with another distro rather than 12.04 LTS Desktop. Is one more stable than another so that I might not have this happen again? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Josh

Beans

I have already wiped the disk and reinstalled ubuntu 12.04LTS... No problems during setup, even installation of grub worked fine, but after the mandatory reboot after finishing the installation i got again "OS not found"....

Maybe it helps to NOT download updates during the installation... As far as i think, one of the last updates i causing this problem... unfortunately, as i told already, i´ve wiped my disk already, therefore i can´t check which updates was applied befor the proble arised...

Beans

That sounds really frustrating. I wonder if the netbook remix, xubuntu, or one of the other distros would avoid this problem. How do we go about getting someone on the development side to figure out which update is causing this? I can wait a little longer before I wipe the disk so I think I'll see if that can help figure out the problem. Is there a way to undo the updates?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by joshalo View Post
    That sounds really frustrating. I wonder if the netbook remix, xubuntu, or one of the other distros would avoid this problem. How do we go about getting someone on the development side to figure out which update is causing this? I can wait a little longer before I wipe the disk so I think I'll see if that can help figure out the problem. Is there a way to undo the updates?
    First of all, did you confirm that you are not using UEFI boot? And if you are using UEFI boot that ubuntu IS installed in UEFI mode?

A lot of bootloader confusion these days is because of the UEFI that MS and Intel want to force upon users. The boot process of UEFI is quite different and it needs to be taken into account especially in dual boots.

If you are using the older, common BIOS boot, I still haven't seen a situation where some update will make your computer give the "OS not found" message since this message is usually a BIOS message, and not grub/bootloader message. This happens even before the bootloader kicks in.

So I am not 100% sure ubuntu or any update is to blame here, but I might be wrong of course.
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 18.04 LTS 64bit

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by joshalo View Post
    In "/var/log/dpkg.log" you can find informations about the last applied updates...

You can also find the last downloaded Files (via apt-get) here:

ls -lat /var/cache/apt/archives/

This should give you information about when the last updates were applied:

ls -lt --time-style="long-iso" /var/log/apt | grep -o '\([0-9]\{2,4\}[- ]\)\{3\}[0-9]\{2\}:[0-9]\{2\}' -m 1

I´m not sure, if

apt-get remove

is the right way to remove updates... I will check this...

Beans

I have tried both UEFI and Legacy boot options. I'm pretty sure that I have Ubuntu installed as UEFI and when I use the usb stick, I Know that it is loading as UEFI based on the graphical display. It seems to me that since I have been using Ubuntu 12.04 flawlessly and with regular updates installed since April, and only after installing the latest updates and rebooting have I had this problem, that the updates are related. Also, the fact that someone else with the same computer had the same problem after installing the same updates, twice, is further evidence that the updates are somehow related. I don't know enough about all of this to be able to say anything definitively, but I am good at following instructions and so far, nothing has solved this.

I'll try and look at the log of the most recent updates and see if anything jumps out that might have caused this.

J

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast