Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 12.10 seems buggy...

Beans

Ubuntu 12.10 seems buggy...

I have no issues with 12.04 and everything runs smooth, I really do not see any new features from 12.10 that are worth upgrading to maybe in 13.04 in april.

Here's my hardware on my development machine.
    64GB DDR3 1600MHZ
    Core i7 3.6 Sandy Bridge E (can't wait for ivy bridge E!)
    Nvidia Geforce GTX 680 2GB (launch reference card)

12.10 should not be slow, some fine it snappy on lesser hardware, what gives?

Could do without the amazon bloated ads..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Ubuntu 12.10 seems buggy...

Stick to 12.04. Then try the 12.10 live usb or dvd in november.

Beans
    Distro

So, you are judging 13.04 on what you do not see in 12.10?

I agree with philinux. Stick with 12.04. You do not have reason even for switching to 14.04 LTS.

12.10 beta 2 - What's new

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/09/u...eta-2-released

I’m pretty sure by 14.04 LTS we’ll have the kinks unkinked. Till then, come along for the ride, or stick with 12.04 LTS. We can’t wait till it’s perfect before landing everything, because the only way to learn what’s not perfect is to have other people – real people – use it.
    http://www.markshuttleworth.com/
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro

I can completely agree with you. 12.10 is the first and probably a great step forward, but it's not what you can expect from a LTS release.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Rukiri, your hardware is nicer than mine and 12.10 is running great for me considering how many updates keep coming. Error reporting hasn't opened once so far and I would not expect this during beta testing. I will be keeping my 12.04 disk around though but I don't see myself using it again.
    Infinite diversity in infinite combination.

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Manual

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I really have only two issues left with Quantal.

1. AMD/ATI hasn't released their 12.10 driver to the Ubuntu repo -- and the 12.9 "Ubuntu preview" Beta still leaves artifacts all over.

2. Where the heck is cube deformation in the Compiz plugins?

I have had so few problems -- at least not ones that others have reported first -- that I feel a bit silly being on the U + 1 team.
    Last edited by QIII; October 4th, 2012 at 03:23 PM.

dino99 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Rukiri View Post
    I have no issues with 12.04 and everything runs smooth, I really do not see any new features from 12.10 that are worth upgrading to maybe in 13.04 in april.

Here's my hardware on my development machine.
    64GB DDR3 1600MHZ
    Core i7 3.6 Sandy Bridge E (can't wait for ivy bridge E!)
    Nvidia Geforce GTX 680 2GB (launch reference card)

12.10 should not be slow, some fine it snappy on lesser hardware, what gives?

Could do without the amazon bloated ads..
    You will appreciate (i mean your hardware ) the coming 3.7 kernel. Install it as soon as its out.

Beans
    Distro

I think it is easy to forget that 12.04 has had SIX MONTHS of updates and 12.10 is in beta 2 (not even in final release until the 18th) and most of the past 6 months was spent adding various refinements and features and only now are the various bugs from debian testing and ubuntu are getting smoothed out and fixed....

In a month or two 12.10 should be just as stable as 12.04 is...so it's really more a matter of whether you want the new features of 12.10...i do, so i have been running beta 2 and plan to do a clean re-install upon final release...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Frogs Hair View Post
    Rukiri, your hardware is nicer than mine and 12.10 is running great for me considering how many updates keep coming. Error reporting hasn't opened once so far and I would not expect this during beta testing. I will be keeping my 12.04 disk around though but I don't see myself using it again.
    I couldn't even get the updater to even run without bugs.. maybe it was because I installed 12.10 with raid 0 + LVM + Luks?... Other than setting where grub should go I pretty much install from the command line, guess I'm just use to setting up things manually.

Now if I could just upgrade Unity to 6.8 I probably wouldn't upgrade to 12.10.
    Is there a github version where I could just install it from source? Or a PPA?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Rukiri View Post
    I couldn't even get the updater to even run without bugs.. maybe it was because I installed 12.10 with raid 0 + LVM + Luks?... Other than setting where grub should go I pretty much install from the command line, guess I'm just use to setting up things manually.

Now if I could just upgrade Unity to 6.8 I probably wouldn't upgrade to 12.10.
    Is there a github version where I could just install it from source? Or a PPA?
    Running raid with a beta release may complicate things. There were well over 100 updates yesterday and about 50 today. I don't if unity 6.8 will run on 12.04 and you may want to watch for PPAs.
    Infinite diversity in infinite combination.

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Manual

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast