Thread: bash script - syntax error: "(" unexpected

Beans

bash script - syntax error: "(" unexpected

I am trying to write a bash script that calls upon parameters in an array that are stored in a config file, the path of which is stored in /etc/environment and ~/.bash_login as VMS. The config file is sourced using the code below.

if [ -e $VMS ]
    then
    . $VMS
    readdata
    else
    echo "file not found: "$VMS" "
    exit 0
    fi

This all works fine if run in the terminal (which is bash) but not on boot or on login. at boot or login it exits with a "syntax error: "(" unexpected" error.

Me feeling, given my scant knowledge of using bash script, is that at login and boot it is running a sh shell and this is the reason it is not working.

my questions are:

1. is the boot and login shell sh?
    2. if 1. is true can i change that or how do i change my code inorder for it to be run as bash in these environments?
    3. if the above is not the case; what am i doing wrong and how can i fix it (can i put my config arrays in different places?

I would be very grateful for some input as i am going around in circles and searches have not yielded any obvious solution.

Beans

Re: bash script - syntax error: "(" unexpected

if you are a newbie and you want to learn more about shell scripting, I would recommend you to go through the site
    they have awesome tutorial for shell scripting. Writing shell scripts

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

I notice that you don't have an explicit shell chosen at the beginning the first line should be either:

Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    or

Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    They are different. The former will be more portable to other systems and goes to dash.

Beans

Thanks shaktiman1234 for the info.

The problem is that i have searched extensively and I cannot identify a solution.

I have found that the ~/.bash_login runs in a bash shell by including:

echo $SHELL

in this file, so the answer to point 1. seems to be no

cheers

Beans

Hi Lars Noodén,

Sorry, the piece of code is an extract. the file is #!/bin/bash at the start.

cheers