Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Howto downgrade to Firefox 15?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Howto downgrade to Firefox 15?

Your running ubuntu and you won't install a .deb?!? Good luck, Ill leave you to it

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post
    @Carborundum, which repo are you getting Fx from?
    I'm surprised that Fx 16 is available for 12.04 so soon. Normally, 3-4 days pass before Canonical's version is pushed.
    precise-updates, which is enabled by default.
    I've been using Firefox and Seamonkey direct with any issue. I'm also using LibreOffice direct.
    I don't know what is meant by overwriting in this context.
    Well, I mean if I were to unpack this archive into my /usr/bin, that would overwrite whatever firefox related files were already there, yes? I could of course install it in ~/temporaryfirefox or something, but that wouldn't really solve the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrrys View Post
    Your running ubuntu and you won't install a .deb?!? Good luck, Ill leave you to it
    I won't install a .deb of something that is simultaneously installed via APT.
    Last edited by nothingspecial; October 11th, 2012 at 11:48 AM. Reason: Unnecessary comment

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Sorry about my first half of my post. What I meant was, remove firefox first (neglected to mention that) and then install with the tar.

Do you get v16 now if you install from software center (official release via ubuntu, not PPA)?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by pompel9 View Post
    Sorry about my first half of my post. What I meant was, remove firefox first (neglected to mention that) and then install with the tar.
    That would work, I suppose. I was hoping there was an easier way, since Mozilla considers the bug severe enough to temporarily stop shipping 16, but I guess not.

Do you get v16 now if you install from software center (official release via ubuntu, not PPA)?
    Yes, I get 16 from (the official, enabled by default) precise-updates repository. I can also choose version 11 from the standard precise repo, but no 15 from what I can find.

For now, I've downgraded to 11 (this can be done with 'sudo apt-get install firefox=11.0+build1-0ubuntu4'). If this bug takes a long time to fix I will uninstall Firefox via APT, and upgrade to 15 manually. Thanks everyone for your help.
    Last edited by Carborundum; October 11th, 2012 at 12:15 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

If you are all that concerned about a vulnerability likely to affect Firefox16 for only the next 12 -18 hours would it not be simpler to install and use another browser until a patch becomes available?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by bra|10n View Post
    If you are all that concerned about a vulnerability likely to affect Firefox16 for only the next 12 -18 hours would it not be simpler to install and use another browser until a patch becomes available?
    It probably would.

Thing is, I have Firefox configured exactly like I want it, with bookmarks and addons and stuff, so it would be inconvenient to switch to another browser (laziness ho). For now, Firefox 11 does the trick, and if 16 goes live again in less than 24 hours I guess there is no need to start mucking about with installing 15 manually.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

That is a package for ARM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I don't know what is meant by overwriting in this context.
    Uninstalling a newer version by hand (rm) and installing an older one by hand (tar -xcvf)
    different versions have different dependencies.

For example, let's say you are leaning on something, like a marble tabletop. And somebody, in an instant, replaces it with a splintery wooden one. When you go to look at it, or run it, the system says,
    what the hell? and it realizes that it needs less pressure put on the table so the wood doesn't break.
    In the computer reality, it looks like this(but not as severe, of course)
    Code:
    PANIC KERNEL MODE INTERRUPT

Beans

As an arguably more desirable alternative to downgrading, one could upgrade to the fixed version 16.0.1. Although it's not formally released yet (I guess it needs a few more hours of testing) it's already available here:
    https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-mozill...y/+archive/ppa
    (Click on "technical details about this ppa" for more info on how to use it.)

Edit 1: more info and confirmation that this is indeed the fixed version here:
    https://blog.mozilla.org/security/20...comment-110600

Edit 2: as of 5 hours ago, firefox 16.0.1 is available from the repositories (hit "Refresh" if you can't see it), so the point is moot now.
    Last edited by Kenno; October 12th, 2012 at 03:15 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12