Thread: LiveUSB boots only terminal

Beans

LiveUSB boots only terminal

Hello, I have created a liveUSB of Ubuntu 11.10. It works well on my home computer, after selecting Ubuntu in GRUB it loads on and runs. But, when I put the USB into school computer, it loads GRUB, then I choose ubuntu 11.10 and it starts loading. But, it does not boot into a graphical interface, with the login screen, but only gives me a terminal line on a black screen. Why is it not working on school computer as well as on mine? Is it because of different graphics drivers? Thanks for help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: LiveUSB boots only terminal

are you using the server version? That is without GUI (graphical user interface)

Beans

Well, no. On my computer, it runs GUI, wndows, Unite, everything. So, it sure is not server version. Just on this, school computer, it loads up just the terminal. I have no idea why is it doing so.

Beans
    Distro

maybe you can try reinstalling the GUI via the terminal..

sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop

Beans
    Distro

I've experienced this too, and unfortunately so far I don't have a good solution. I don't mean the following to be technical advice...it's just my experiences.

As far as I can tell, if the USB drive has any kind of persistence, it remembers the graphical settings of the computer it was last used on. Then, if the USB drive is used on a different computer with different graphics drivers, the end result is the server-style logon: black screen with white text.

My workaround is to use a Live DVD and save working files to a USB drive. If anyone has a better solution, please post