Thread: Wireless is disabled by hardware switch

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Wireless is disabled by hardware switch

Hi

am just trying to setup a wireless network between my router and notebook ASUS N53SV running Ubuntu 11.10.

My router is Billion voip adsl router manual 7401VGPR3 and I have set it up according to these instructions http://www.internode.on.net/support/...401-r3_7404-x/

I think I have everything configured right on the notebook in the wireless network settings, but still displaying Wireless is disabled by hardware switch

I have run all the variations of rfkill -- list - unblock, but nothing happens, but I don't understand the <index>|<type> parameters, can someone pls give me a practical example.

I have been thinking to install LinuxMint 13 Mate or XFCE on this machine, would that do any better.

I have Win7 on it, but only use it when required

Thanks
    Geoff

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Wireless is disabled by hardware switch

Correction, am running Ubuntu 11.04

Have run rfkill unblock with various parameters but it doesn't change the config.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Wireless is disabled by hardware switch

Thanks to all of you who write blogs and help out with such answers on forums, eventually found the answer elsewhere.

Sorry I'm so dumb, I'm getting old and my disability makes me pretty dull mentally. I couldn't do it without all the Linux/Ubuntu help online

Thanks.