Thread: Probably An Easy One

Beans

Probably An Easy One

Hello, Ubuntu Community. I'm very green with Ubuntu, so please excuse what I'm sure is a very noob question.

I am attempting to use the Mangler software. I have understood that in order to use this program, I need to have Pulse Audio installed. I have followed the steps available on the Ubuntu Wiki to get it installed and running, however I have run into a bit of a snare.
    When I get to the part of the installation process where I am to add users to the pulse audio groups, it says to navigate to System > Administration > Users & Groups.
    I am unable to locate this path. I can't even find "system". I have "system settings" but under there I can find no "Administration".

I feel like this is probably a really dumb question, so I'm embarrassed for asking. But a point in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Probably An Easy One

Hello! Nothing to be embarrassed about.

The wiki is referring to an older version of ubuntu, 12.04 isn't laid out the same. System Settings should have user accounts in it. That's what you want.
    Remember When Double-Dog dare ya's and water balloons were the ultimate weapon?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by critin View Post
    Hello! Nothing to be embarrassed about.

The wiki is referring to an older version of ubuntu, 12.04 isn't laid out the same. System Settings should have user accounts in it. That's what you want.
    Thanks for the reply.

Unfortuantely, this does take me back to where I was before. Previously I thought this is where I needed to be, however once I get there, I really don't have any options other than to add additional user accounts. I'm not entirely sure how I'm supposed to follow the steps provided...
    ADDING USERS TO THE PULSEAUDIO GROUPS

Next we go to System -> Administration -> and click on Users and Groups.

Click on Manage Groups, and scroll all the way to the bottom of the list where you will find:

pulse-access
    pulse-rt
    I'm wondering if these instructions are also out of date.

Basically the end result is that I'm trying to launch Mangler. I've installed it, and when I click the icon, nothing happens. The application doesn't launch. From doing some searching of the internets, I determined I need Pulse Audio installed. The guide on Ubuntu Wiki is failing me bigtime it would seem. Although I'm willing to accept I am the one who is failing lol. I need to get this software up and running. Any suggestions?

Thanks again.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I don't know this program, but I did find this through a quick search. It mentions mangler

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1879632

Also, did you see this? (audio)

http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Soft...ser/SystemWide
    Last edited by critin; October 11th, 2012 at 04:58 AM.
    Remember When Double-Dog dare ya's and water balloons were the ultimate weapon?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by PremiumPlus View Post
    From doing some searching of the internets, I determined I need Pulse Audio installed.
    PulseAudio is installed by default in Ubuntu, and wouldn't need reinstall.
    I'm thinking about it