Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cannot configure Canon MX410 scanner

Beans

Cannot configure Canon MX410 scanner

Hello,

I am a Ubuntu and Linux rookie. I am currently running Ubuntu 12.04LTS and having a heck of a time to get a scanner on the OS. It is a Canon MX410 multifunction. I got the printer side to work no problem. The scanner on the other hand is being a royal pain. I have all the drivers for the printer and scanner but I just need some guidance on this whole issue. I mean completely start from scratch. I would also like to take advantage of the wifi that the Canon has. I appricate any and all advice and/or help. Thank you in advance

Ethan
    Last edited by sandyd; October 11th, 2012 at 04:41 AM. Reason: title

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: having a heck of a time

You don't say whether or not you have installed any scanning software. I use Simple Scan for most short jobs with my printer/scanner. Simple Scan is available in the repositories. Open Ubuntu Software Center, do a search on "scan" and then choose Simple Scan for install (or one of the other scanning software packages of your choice).

Once installed, you can open the Dash, do a search on "scan" and your scanning software should show up. Open the program and scan a document.

If you already have scanning software installed, please describe any problems you are encountering.
    David D.
    Ubuntu 20.04 on HP Envy 17 with SSD

Beans
    Hidden!

Indeed, http://www.sane-project.org/sane-mfgs.html reports the printer being untested, which means the are needing help for the scanner to be compatible out-of-the-box through Simple Scan.

Oftentimes what is needed is USB sniffing through Windows-use, although to know you would have to contact project heads.

http://www.sane-project.org/contrib.html

You can thank Canon for providing adequate Linux support. Up to date, I have had better luck using HP machines.

Good luck, champion!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 17.04 Zesty Zapus

I remember the headaches I had originally trying to set up my all-in-one for wireless scanning. The key to it is to go through the settings on the device itself and connect it to the wireless network - note this is nothing to do with your computer or Ubuntu, I'm talking about the controls on your printer/scanner.

Once your device is connected to the network, install xsane via the Software Centre, then run Gimp and go to File... Create... Xsane... Device Dialog. Cross your fingers and it should find your scanner. If it doesn't work, first make sure your firewall isn't blocking it (if you've installed the firewall that is). If still no joy we'll have to think of something else.

Beans

Thank you for the replies!!

I do have simple scan and xsane. Both will not even recognize the device. I did also see that it was "un-tested" but wasn't too sure how often it gets updated. I wasn't too sure if a person would have to do it through Root or if there was something I was missing. If I have to go through Root the all-in-one will go back to the store, as I am not experienced enough to even dive in that side of the house. So at this time am I S.O.L? I figured that if I got all the drivers for it (that i found on the forums) that I would be able to use my scanner. The printer side was a breeze. Ubuntu even picked up the FAX side of the device also but not the scanner. I am very thankful everyone is giving some input..

Ethan

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 17.04 Zesty Zapus

I'm confused as to whether you're trying to get the scanner working with a USB cable or wirelessly. Can you scan with a cable and/or print wirelessly now?
    Last edited by jim_deadlock; October 11th, 2012 at 04:38 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Cannot configure Canon MX410 scanner

Moved to ABS
    Don't waste your energy trying to change opinions ... Do your thing, and don't care if they like it.

Beans

jim_deadlock,

I cannot get it to scan with usb or wireless.

Beans

Ethan:

you need to install ScanGearMP that Canon provide: it works well

go here

http://support-asia.canon-asia.com/c...100330601.html

and download MX410 series ScanGear MP Ver. 1.70 for Linux (debian Packagearchive)

......it comes down as a compressed debian package..

scangearmp-mx410series-1.70-1-deb.tar.gz
    ........select "save file" as your system downloads it..it should save it to your Downloads directory??.......

I can suggest the terminal commands to now install scangearmp

cd Downloads
    tar -zxvf scangearmp-mx410series-1.70-1-deb.tar.gz
    cd scangearmp-mx410series-1.70-1-deb
    ./install.sh
    ............once installed issue the command

scangearmp
    and the programme opens......

good eh?

______________________________________________--

......instead of typing the above into a terminal each time, you can automate the process by creating a launcher.....that launches scangear

from this thread

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ighlight=canon

see post # 85

and this thread

http://linuxhelp.host.org/index.php?...create-desktop
    Last edited by pdc; October 13th, 2012 at 12:37 AM.

Beans

pdc

this is what I got when i got to ./install.sh. What does this mean?

"An error occurred. The package management system cannot be identified."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast