Thread: Dolphin Column View Gone: Alternatives?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Unhappy Dolphin Column View Gone: Alternatives?

Hi all,

So it appears that at the beginning of the year, Dolphin lost its column view feature (see this blog post, in the comments). I find this incredibly irritating, and I can't even find any other KDE file managers that might provide me with an alternative - neither Krusader nor Konqueror currently seem to offer column view.

Am I missing anything? Are there KDE alternatives?

What are non KDE options? Marlin looks to be a GTK3 file manager under active development and which offers column view. I guess I could try Gnustep's GWorkspace, but is that still being actively developed? Anything else?

I understand the Dolphin codebase for the column view was hard to maintain, but can only express frustration at this downgrade... I might just switch desktop environment over this.
    Last edited by doundounba; October 22nd, 2012 at 06:59 PM. Reason: typo

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Dolphin Column View Gone: Alternatives?

Take a look at Midnight Commander.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Dolphin Column View Gone: Alternatives?

Thanks for the suggestion bra|10n, but I think perhaps I didn't make it quite clear enough what functionality I am looking for. I'm not looking for something with a vertically split view with a tree view on the left and an icon view on the right. I'm looking for "Miller columns". (If you follow the link, you'll note how Dolphin is listed as supporting this, a quote which became inaccurate as of Dolphin 2.0...) I discovered and learned to love this way of browsing the file system on NeXTstep. I don't think MC supports this...

So, the question stands... Whither Miller columns on KDE (or anywhere else)? I'm only aware of GWorkspace and and Marlin as possible alternatives. Are there others?