Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: 3 Monitors, Ubuntu 12.04, Gnome 3, 2 nvidia cards, WITH xrandr or xinerama?

Beans

Re: 3 Monitors, Ubuntu 12.04, Gnome 3, 2 nvidia cards, WITH xrandr or xinerama?

Ok. I figured out how to stop the login issue I was having. Apparently its a permissions issue. HOW? I dont know. here was the fix.

Code:
    sudo chown -R user:user /home/user
    Replace "user" with your username. I just thought this might help someone in the future.
    Teardrop on the fire.... Fearless on my breath....

Beans

That is sad that this thread, and SO many others have died out, when this is such a huge issue for anyone running more than 2 monitors.

Well, after about a month, and HOURS UPON HOURS per day reading, researching, breaking X, trying hacks, etc etc etc., I finally figured it out (kind of) using XRandR. Full compositing, full 3D graphics, the works. Its beautiful.

Im going to do a write up on it once I get all of the little nuances straightened out, as its not hard, but the documentation is TERRIBLE! Its all old, nothing is updated, and most conversations about this subject are dead and ever older.

I hope this thread and my future write up will help the BUNCHES of people out there who are dead in the water with multi monitor/multi-head setups.

As soon as I have something solid, Ill post it.

Beans
    Hidden!

DJYoshaBYD,
    Thanks for all your hardwork on this, I've been looking for a solution for some time. Look forward to reading your write up and implementing myself

Beans

DJYoshaBYD, please post the info - even if it is in cryptic form.

I have also been trying to get three monitors going and have had only marginal success (3rd monitor as a separate X screen is not that useful).

thanks!
    john

Beans

Smile Re: 3 Monitors, Ubuntu 12.04, Gnome 3, 2 nvidia cards, WITH xrandr or xinerama?

Please, post what you needed to install or add/tweak/etc to your system and your xorg.conf.

I'm fighting with 3 1920x1080 monitors which I can get to work with xinerama on nvidia binary drivers (2 * 9800 GT cards) but have really annoying stuff with my setup like chrome flash doing weird stuff and not having composite of course. Would like really much to switch to something supporting composite.

I have also weird stuff like the center screen scrolling the left and possibly also the right hand virtual screen area for some reason.

Beans

I do not know if this will help anybody, but here is my xorg.conf.
    I have three monitors running on 2 cards. My main screen is in the center and run off my GTX460. My two rotated side monitors are off from my GTX275.
    Code:
    # nvidia-settings: X configuration file generated by nvidia-settings
    # nvidia-settings:  version 295.33  (buildd@allspice)  Fri Mar 30 15:25:24 UTC 2012

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier     "Layout0"
        Screen      0  "Screen0" RightOf "Screen1"
        Screen      1  "Screen1" 0 0
        Screen      2  "Screen2" RightOf "Screen0"
        InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
        InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
        Option         "Xinerama" "0"
    EndSection

Section "Files"
    EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

# generated from default
        Identifier     "Mouse0"
        Driver         "mouse"
        Option         "Protocol" "auto"
        Option         "Device" "/dev/psaux"
        Option         "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
        Option         "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
    EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

# generated from default
        Identifier     "Keyboard0"
        Driver         "kbd"
    EndSection

Section "Monitor"

# HorizSync source: edid, VertRefresh source: edid
        Identifier     "Monitor0"
        VendorName     "Unknown"
        ModelName      "DELL U3011"
        HorizSync       29.0 - 113.0
        VertRefresh     49.0 - 86.0
        Option         "DPMS"
    EndSection

Section "Monitor"

Identifier     "Monitor1"
        VendorName     "Unknown"
        ModelName      "Acer G205HV"
        HorizSync       31.0 - 83.0
        VertRefresh     56.0 - 76.0
        Option         "DPMS"
    EndSection

Section "Monitor"

Identifier     "Monitor2"
        VendorName     "Unknown"
        Option         "DPMS"
    EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier     "Device0"
        Driver         "nvidia"
        VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
        BoardName      "GeForce GTX 460"
        BusID          "PCI:3:0:0"
    EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier     "Device1"
        Driver         "nvidia"
        BoardName      "GeForce GTX 275"
        BusID          "PCI:4:0:0"
        Screen          0
    EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier     "Device2"
        Driver         "nvidia"
        Screen          1
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier     "Screen0"
        Device         "Device0"
        Monitor        "Monitor0"
        DefaultDepth    24
        Option         "TwinView" "0"
        Option         "TwinViewXineramaInfoOrder" "DFP-0"
        Option         "metamodes" "nvidia-auto-select +0+0"
        SubSection     "Display"
            Depth       24
        EndSubSection
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier     "Screen1"
        Device         "Device1"
        Monitor        "Monitor1"
        DefaultDepth    24
        Option         "Rotate" "left"
        Option         "TwinView" "1"
        Option         "metamodes" "DFP-0: nvidia-auto-select +0+0  { Rotation=left }"
        SubSection     "Display"
            Depth       24
        EndSubSection
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier     "Screen2"
        Device         "Device2"
        Monitor        "Monitor2"
        DefaultDepth    24
        Option         "Rotate" "right"
        Option         "TwinViewXineramaInfoOrder" "DFP-1"
        Option         "metamodes" "DFP-1: nvidia-auto-select +0+0  { Rotation=right }"
    #   Option         "metamodes" "DFP-0: nvidia-auto-select +0+400, DFP-1: nvidia-auto-select +1920+0 { Rotation=left }"
        SubSection     "Display"
            Depth       24
        EndSubSection
    EndSection

Beans

Does that setup work with Gnome 3 and Composite?

I think I tried that sort of separate screen setup using nvidia binary driver and Gnome 3 didn't like it much last time I tried.

I'd really like to get the nouveau driver working with composite using ZaphodHeads or any other solution that works with it.

DJYoshaBYD, please share your solution soonish. And I hope you've also tried it with 12.10 and not just with 12.04.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jpalko View Post
    Does that setup work with Gnome 3 and Composite?

I think I tried that sort of separate screen setup using nvidia binary driver and Gnome 3 didn't like it much last time I tried.

I'd really like to get the nouveau driver working with composite using ZaphodHeads or any other solution that works with it.

DJYoshaBYD, please share your solution soonish. And I hope you've also tried it with 12.10 and not just with 12.04.
    Zaphod wont work, as they are separate x screens, and you cannot drag windows across, etc etc etc. Composite is cool, but you lose connectivity to the rest of the desktop.

I doubt he got that working with composite, as xrandr does not span multiple cards at all; that function is just not there (although is planned for the next xrandr build (1.4 i think?)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by schievelbein View Post
    I do not know if this will help anybody, but here is my xorg.conf.
    I have three monitors running on 2 cards. My main screen is in the center and run off my GTX460. My two rotated side monitors are off from my GTX275.
    Code:
    # nvidia-settings: X configuration file generated by nvidia-settings
    # nvidia-settings:  version 295.33  (buildd@allspice)  Fri Mar 30 15:25:24 UTC 2012

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier     "Layout0"
        Screen      0  "Screen0" RightOf "Screen1"
        Screen      1  "Screen1" 0 0
        Screen      2  "Screen2" RightOf "Screen0"
        InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
        InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
        Option         "Xinerama" "0"
    EndSection

Section "Files"
    EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

# generated from default
        Identifier     "Mouse0"
        Driver         "mouse"
        Option         "Protocol" "auto"
        Option         "Device" "/dev/psaux"
        Option         "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
        Option         "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
    EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

# generated from default
        Identifier     "Keyboard0"
        Driver         "kbd"
    EndSection

Section "Monitor"

Identifier     "Monitor0"
        VendorName     "Unknown"
        ModelName      "DELL U3011"
        HorizSync       29.0 - 113.0
        VertRefresh     49.0 - 86.0
        Option         "DPMS"
    EndSection

Section "Monitor"

Identifier     "Monitor1"
        VendorName     "Unknown"
        Option         "DPMS"
    EndSection

Section "Monitor"

Identifier     "Monitor2"
        VendorName     "Unknown"
        Option         "DPMS"
    EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier     "Device0"
        Driver         "nvidia"
        BoardName      "GeForce GTX 460"
        BusID          "PCI:3:0:0"
    EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier     "Device1"
        Driver         "nvidia"
        Screen          0
    EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier     "Device2"
        Driver         "nvidia"
        Screen          1
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier     "Screen0"
        Device         "Device0"
        Monitor        "Monitor0"
        DefaultDepth    24
        Option         "TwinView" "0"
        Option         "metamodes" "nvidia-auto-select +0+0"
        SubSection     "Display"
            Depth       24
        EndSubSection
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier     "Screen1"
        Device         "Device1"
        Monitor        "Monitor1"
        DefaultDepth    24
        Option         "Rotate" "left"
        Option         "metamodes" "DFP-0: nvidia-auto-select +0+0  { Rotation=left }"
        SubSection     "Display"
            Depth       24
        EndSubSection
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier     "Screen2"
        Device         "Device2"
        Monitor        "Monitor2"
        DefaultDepth    24
        Option         "Rotate" "right"
        Option         "TwinViewXineramaInfoOrder" "DFP-1"
        Option         "metamodes" "DFP-1: nvidia-auto-select +0+0  { Rotation=right }"
    #   Option         "metamodes" "DFP-0: nvidia-auto-select +0+400, DFP-1: nvidia-auto-select +1920+0 { Rotation=left }"
        SubSection     "Display"
            Depth       24
        EndSubSection
    EndSection
    Yeah. My config looked like that, as well. Actually, a bunch of them did. hahaha. But I doubt that compositing is working up to par. Even though xinerama is off, I still couldnt get it to work, simply because of this:

Option "TwinView" "1"

That uses nvidia's implementation of xinerama to do this, and if you check your xorg.0.log, it will show that xinerama is getting activated, and composite ext is turned off, as they cannot, and will not be on at the same time. One disables the other.

**DISCLAIMER**
    We all know that technology moves STUPID fast. My last post was about a week before I gave up this silly thing, and decided to wait until nvidia and x11 get it straightened out, as its their issue, and im not a programmer (although pretty competent). Something may have changed since then. I know there have been a couple driver updates, like this AM, nvidia released a new driver with a new nvidia-settings that adds support for randr rotation, reflection, viewport, and all sorts of stuff. Although, I cannot find any release notes to see what the changelog states. I believe its nvidia driver 310.19.

So yeah. You might actually have it working, but if you had it set up before I quit trying, I doubt it, as I wasted about a month, non-stop, every single day researching, writing, thinking, smoking way too much ganj, and came to the conclusion that, in short, if I dont work for nvidia and cannot get their source, and I dont know how to program very well, its just not going to happen, and if it does, like I did, it only works for a short time before crashing, and its super glitchy. not anywhere near a good solution. Im a patient man.. Ill wait and save myself the agony. hahahaha

Beans

Ok, this is a message I was going to send to someone who emailed me aboot this (thats right. I said it. haha), but I figured I would just post it here, considering there were some responses.

"
    Quote Originally Posted by WJohnG
    hi DJYoshaBYD,

I would love to see how you got three monitors going (Re: 3 Monitors, Ubuntu 12.04, Gnome 3, 2 nvidia cards, WITH xrandr or xinerama?).

Could you please post your xorg.conf or whatever is easiest for you to get the rest of us going?

thanks!
    john

Well, my computer/internet connection has been down for a while now (LONG story. haha. thats for another blog), and Im going to update my post today.

The fact of the matter is, yes. I did get it working, but SUPER unstable. It will NOT work, until xinerama is FULLY dropped from X11 (which is coming along better, now that nvidia is starting to give more attention to RandR, which in turn, of course, makes them put out drivers and hardware that support it. Xinerama, no matter what, will never be able to do this... ever. Not with hardware rendering. there was a program/api called xglx or something like that from about 7 years ago that used a software buffer to carry over to the hardware, but its outdated, not maintained.... useless.

In short, this will not be possible (2 cards, 3+ monitors, full HW rendering across all screens, all screens working together) until nvidia and x11 issues are squared away, the issue being xinerama.

As for the xorg.conf, its useless. well, not really, but for all intents and purposes, it caused nothing but problems, and when I had it working, my xorg.conf only had my video cards listed, and thats all. No monitor section, nothing. just a section for each card, the name of each port (VGA, DFP, etc) and the busid. The reason being, well, you just really dont need xorg.conf anymore, as the input is all taken care of by hal, and the rest, from my understanding, is handled by xRandR, which is what we want. The issue is, that with nvidia cards, they will use their own version of Xinerama (implementation, rather), which shuts off x11's native one. Under normal circumstances (ie 1 video card), thats just fine. BUT, if the xinerama extension is activated at ALL, it will NOT let the composite extension run, which means no pretty desktop (no matter how many monitors. 1 monitor with xinerama, no HW accel), but even worse, no hardware acceleration at all.

My hack (yeah. pretty much), was to force xinerama to NEVER turn on. I did this by fuc**ng up the source code and changing the names to something that wouldnt be found; in this case, adding a "1" to the very end of anything that even remotely said xinerama, so that when I compiled and ran it, it would never run it, as its looking for a name that doesnt exist. This would let xRandr work for about 10 minutes at the most (every once in a while it would last longer), but it was shaky, and the monitor on the 2nd card would flicker here and there. Not stable, not a good fix, not necessarily a waste of time, though. hahaha. I learned a lot, and it was fun to get balls deep into linux and really see whats going on.

Anyway, short of a hardware fix (buy 1 card that supports 3 monitors, or buy that ati multimonitor box thingy. cant remember the name), you will not get composite and 3 monitors running at the same time and have it be worth a damn until xinerama is completely deprecated.

If Im wrong on anything, Im sorry. Lol. I gave up on that a couple of weeks ago, but read so much, that its hard to remember exactly everything. Im an engineer by trade, and know, well, i cant say... too much for my own good. 20+ years sleeping with a computer like a farmer sleeps with pigs. hahahaha. I understand what it is, and what needs to be done, but only from a guru's point of view. This is something that would need to be handled by the devs at Nvidia and x11, as for all of my experience, programming is a language that I dont speak yet (although I fully understand what is needed, how its done, etc etc etc.. Just cant speak/write it. hahaha), although, that is going to change in the next couple of months, as Im going to devote a WHOLE LOT of time to the Wine project, as I feel that is the most important project for linux/OSX right now.

Feel free to pick my brain, and Ill answer anything that I can from what I have learned recently and what I can remember anyway. haha"

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast