Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: 3 Monitors, Ubuntu 12.04, Gnome 3, 2 nvidia cards, WITH xrandr or xinerama?

Beans

Re: 3 Monitors, Ubuntu 12.04, Gnome 3, 2 nvidia cards, WITH xrandr or xinerama?

Okay, thanks for the reply. I thought there would have been some nice simple solution that I hadn't just found out yet. Have to wait then for xrandr 1.4 or wayland to happen or something other. I did something a bit similar than what your solution attempt was with debian potato ages ago when I had to get dual head matrox working in 2000.

I'll continue using my 3 head xinerama desktop with xfce at work then. It actually is nice for working as it doesn't have anything excessively distracting from work.

Beans

Well, Wayland is already implemented in the newer versions. Check your repo. Its installed. But until they COMPLETELY drop Xinerama from the trunk, we are SOL, even if everything goes to xrandr 1.4 and beyond. Xinerama will not, ever, let compositing run while its on. At least not from what I have read, and not from what I have seen. I probably have logged over 200 hours on this project. It aint happening. Im sure there are people on here a million times smarter than me, and I didnt get it, and they didnt get it, so now its up to the manufacturers.

Although, almost all of the new nvidia drivers that I have seen come out in the last 2 months, have all had xrandr updates in the changelog. Xinerama is on its last leg, and now we just have to wait for nvidia and X to break that leg and throw xinerama in the orchards with the squirrels. hahaha
    Teardrop on the fire.... Fearless on my breath....

Beans

The bottom line, this is what we need:

Xinerama ELIMINATED, GONE, D-E-D... DED.
    Xrandr FULLY implemented
    Xrandr support for multicard/multihead support with composite

We get that, we are good to go.

Beans

Since we're talking of cards as well. What's the most reasonably priced 3 head nvidia card that has triple HDMI or DVI output?

I don't want to go the amd/ati way with this one. Especially now that nvidia has just started really to improve drivers with Valve's co-operation and amd/ati has not been that active on that front, yet at least...

Or of course if I can get triplehead radeon (with open source driver) output with a much more reasonable price range, do tell of a such card and if something is necessary otherwise too. I have 3 monitors that have HDMI, DVI and D-SUB connectors. I was checking that some of those earlier models needed an Active DP->DVI adapter to get 3 monitors connected when the other 2 are in DVI and HDMI connectors. I couldn't find anything on those newest cards that have 2 DVI, 1 HDMI and 1 DP connector whether they need that still...
    Last edited by jpalko; November 17th, 2012 at 05:11 PM. Reason: radeon :)

Beans

Honestly, I dont see the point of using open-source drivers any time soon, simply because they lack so many features. Im ALL about open source, but the native, proprietary drivers are fantastic. I have actually found Nvidia drivers to be great across the board for windows and linux. Never had an issue. The problem that is addressed here is directly related to the GFX manufacturers timeline of development conflicting with X, and thats just how it was. Times have changed, and its not only because of Steam; its because computers are faster now than they have ever been, and its time to step up to the plate and get more issues fixed that have been tossed to the wayside for more important projects.

as for the video cards, Nvidia makes some FLY dual GPU cards that you could run 4+ monitors off of. Anytime I buy a new card, I never spend over 250, but I never drop under 150, either. Hit up newegg or tigerdirect and see whats on sale. Find something that you like and that fits your specs, then do some research, and make sure it will do what you want with the flavour of OS you are going to use. IMO, Nvidia is the best way to go, but its all about what you want, and what you like. Hope this helps out a bit.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Red face Re: 3 Monitors, Ubuntu 12.04, Gnome 3, 2 nvidia cards, WITH xrandr or xinerama?

FYI, I just got 3 monitors, two nvidia graphics cards working, using the nouveau driver. I found the magic instructions for doing this at:

http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/MultiMonitorDesktop

The secret was to use ZaphodHeads as described there.

Disclaimers:
    -- I'm only interested in 2D not 3D, so this is good enough for me.
    -- I'm running gnome classic, not unity
    -- I can't figure out how to rotate the displays to vertical: xinerama disables randr and the X11 defaults to wide horizontal displays. I wanted three tall vertical displays. I'm getting worried that I can't do this ...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hi linas,

Have you added to your Section "Device" sections?
    Code:
        Option         "RandRRotation" "on"      # enable rotation

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Talking Re: 3 Monitors, Ubuntu 12.04, Gnome 3, 2 nvidia cards, WITH xrandr or xinerama?

Quote Originally Posted by Favux View Post

Have you added to your Section "Device" sections?
    Code:
        Option         "RandRRotation" "on"      # enable rotation
    No, since RandR does not work with Xinerama! (This is "well-known", discussed in many threads and blog posts) However, I found something that does work: Add this:

Code:
        Option         "Rotate" "Left"
    to Section "Monitor" (yes, you read that right -- Monitor, not Device!) Apparently, the nouveau driver knows about this option in this section, and will do the rotation, without the help of RandR.

(I rotated all three monitors, haven't yet tried rotating just one or two of them -- I suspect it'll work, although it might be weird with the mouse. Hmmm...)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Nice find. Sure enough that is an Option in man xorg.conf's "MONITOR SECTION". And man noveau does tell you to see man xorg.conf.

Beans

Yeah. I knew that you could do that. But you still cant have composite and one huge desktop with xrandr until they fix it. For now Im just using an old laptop with a bad monitor or loose cable. I cant figure it out, but Im using synergy to at least be able to control that one. Its kind of nice. Has some cool benefits.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast