Thread: Help! MacBook will NOT boot up Ubuntu install!

Beans

Help! MacBook will NOT boot up Ubuntu install!

Hello All,

Here is the deal. I'm trying to dual boot Snow Leopard and Ubuntu on an old mac I have (It's a 2008 Core Duo Plastic Blackbook, version 4,1). I just purchased a new hard drive, installed it and put Snow Leopard on. I then partitioned the hard drive and installed rEFIt, which worked great.

The problem is that when I try to insert the Ubuntu Live CD during restart, it will read it for a second and then spit it right back out. When I tried booting from a live USB, the Linux icon came up on rEFIt, but after clicking it I got the dOS-like screen saying "No Bootable Drives".

I'M GOING CRAZY. All I want is to get this puppy up and running. Does anyone have ideas?

~Lauren

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Help! MacBook will NOT boot up Ubuntu install!

Beings that I am a novice, the only thing I can suggest that I have thought of is make sure it is the right architecture (x86,x64 i386 intel - AMD64 and such) :S Also when burning the .iso image to cd/dvd make sure you use the slowest speed, 4x, 8x never use fastest burning speed possible, though it may work sometimes, it is better to be safe than sorry.

Beans

I am also having this problem but I am using a USB live. And I am on a retina MacBook Pro.
    It says

Intranfms no bootable media found

The Iso I am using is 12.10

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

The fact that the MacBook spits out the CD indicates to me that it may be a bad download or a bad burn. The USB problem simply says that there is no bootable OS found on the stick, so also a bad download or bad burn. Did you verify the downloaded iso file before creating the boot media? How did you create the boot cd and usb?

Beans

Be wary of Ubuntu on MacBook: I did start "Live" Lubuntu 12 on mine, and I had a problem restart OSX: I had to restart from the osx' DVD, key "C" on.

In addition, on my console, the invitation is changed, it becomes "lubuntu:~" rather than "mac-osx: ~ ! Warning !!!!!
    Last edited by ContreTemps; October 19th, 2012 at 01:54 PM.