Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Canonical asks desktop users to "pay what you think Ubuntu is worth"

Beans

Re: Canonical asks desktop users to "pay what you think Ubuntu is worth"

Quote Originally Posted by mr john View Post
    Cannonical didn't write all the software in Ubuntu. So they are taking money for other people's work? It's legal, yes. But is it moral?
    Yes it is.
    This account is not active.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I find myself agreeing with almost everything KiwiNZ posted - a strangly novel experience. I will be donating next time I download Ubuntu possibly 11:10 even.

It seems to me that as I have been using Ubuntu since Warty or Hoary it about time I gave a little back and as i'm not a coder cash will have to do (and the odd bug report etc).

Yeah, I don't have any problem at all with the donation thing, but it wouldn't take much for me to start having a problem with things like Amazon search. I understand that they need to increase revenue, but one of the attractions of Linux over Windows PCs is the lack of crapware. I can see how this could possibly snowball into more and more crap cluttering our desktops to help increase Canonical's revenue.
    I have this concern too - so please Canonical make sure Ubuntu doesn't turn into an adware / spyware infested piece of crap. I like Unity and upto this point In my opinion, generally Ubuntu has shown a steady improvement from release to release.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by mr john View Post
    Cannonical didn't write all the software in Ubuntu. So they are taking money for other people's work? It's legal, yes. But is it moral?
    Red Hat didn't write all the software in RHEL either, and they've been absolutely coining it for years. A real Linux success story, in fact.

There's nothing legally or ethically wrong with making money as a Linux vendor.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

And the effects of Linux Mint begin haha

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Gone fishing View Post
    I find myself agreeing with almost everything KiwiNZ posted - a strangly novel experience. I will be donating next time I download Ubuntu possibly 11:10 even.

It seems to me that as I have been using Ubuntu since Warty or Hoary it about time I gave a little back and as i'm not a coder cash will have to do (and the odd bug report etc).

I have this concern too - so please Canonical make sure Ubuntu doesn't turn into an adware / spyware infested piece of crap. I like Unity and upto this point In my opinion, generally Ubuntu has shown a steady improvement from release to release.
    Welcome to the dark side :-p
    This account is not active.

Beans
    Distro

Welcome to the dark side :-p

Beans
    Distro

A lot of people are talking as though the ability to donate to Canonical/Ubuntu was something new.

I donated a few years ago using a very little-known link that somebody gave me. I received an e-mail back thanking me for my donation and promising that it would go toward work on Ubuntu.

So, donation is not new, it's just this method that is new.

If you feel odd about donating you could buy some music using Ubuntu One Music Store, or some space on U1, buy an Ubuntu baseball cap or T-shirt, or some software from Software Center. Heck, buy some training or desktop support if you feel you could use it. Canonical's phone support line is meant to be very good.

I've got a couple of albums from U1MS (I use 7Digital direct now as I hate waiting hours for my music to sideload), a baseball cap, a mug, a polo shirt, a t-shirt, and a hoodie. I also got some official Ubuntu CDs, a sheet of stickers and some Kubuntu pens that sadly broke in about five minutes. I don't feel the need to rush out and donate more, but I probably will once 12.10 comes out.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Old_Gray_Wolf View Post
    The problem is, I do not want Pay Pal processing the payment in any way.
    Mail Canonical a cheque "For improving the desktop" or "supporting varients" or whatever your selection is.

Paypal is probably more secure than any credit card issuer. Firstly, it's a company borne of the Internet, rather than a bricks-and-mortar business that decides to "click onto this newfangled Cyberspace thingy". Secondly, it has an anti-fraud response team backed by anti-fraud software that's notoriously top-secret. Said software and said team are the reason Paypal stayed afloat when all its initial competitors died off.
    Last edited by 3rdalbum; October 13th, 2012 at 08:39 AM.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

It would be nice if we could see how much has been raised so far. Maybe a blog on what's been done using the money.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdalbum View Post
    Paypal is probably more secure than any credit card issuer...
    I just signed up for an account. Within minutes I got a couple of e-mails and my bank account has been debited a token INR 1.00. But my details verification will still take "4-6 working days".

Canonical will just have to wait

Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast