Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Canonical asks desktop users to "pay what you think Ubuntu is worth"

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Canonical asks desktop users to "pay what you think Ubuntu is worth"

Quote Originally Posted by MG&TL View Post
    It would be nice if we could see how much has been raised so far. Maybe a blog on what's been done using the money.
    Try commenting here and see what happens
    http://blog.canonical.com/2012/10/09...in-many-forms/

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by Old_Gray_Wolf View Post
    Maybe I am not communicating this well.

My issue isn't with Pay Pal. It is with using 3rd. and 4th. parties to process the transaction. From what I have seen, Pay Pal is 4th. party. It appears to me that it uses other 3rd. party processing services. I could be wrong. I don't what any extra companies involved in a transaction.

If I could enter my credit or debit card on a secure webpage and Canonical worked with the credit card processor directly, it wouldn't trouble me.
    Lol. I gotcha. But I doubt there are very many online stores that don't use a 3rd party for credit card processing.

Quote Originally Posted by JDShu View Post
    I wasn't able to get the actual payment site working, but I believe that when you donate through the interface, the money goes to Canonical Ltd, and therefore it is not tax deductible for the donor. That's all I'm saying.
    If the money goes to the Ubuntu Foundation, and they are really doing it in such a way that it's not tax deductible, that's a really dumb way to do it. I wonder how we could find out about that for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by mr john View Post
    Cannonical didn't write all the software in Ubuntu. So they are taking money for other people's work? It's legal, yes. But is it moral?
    It's been explained many times in this thread that on the web site, you choose which project to donate to, and every project you can donate to is one that Canonical is working on. They are not taking donations for other people's work.

Even if they were, yes it is still moral. Anyone who uses the GPL license should know that they are releasing their code in a way that people can rightfully do that. If a developer doesn't like that idea, there are plenty of other licenses out there, and if you don't like any of them, you can write your own.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Elfy View Post
    Try commenting here and see what happens
    http://blog.canonical.com/2012/10/09...in-many-forms/
    Good idea. Done, but awaiting moderation.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by stinkeye View Post
    I just donated because I tried quite a few times to get Linux running but
    never succeeded until I used an Ubuntu live CD.
    Appreciate the work they put in, creating a distro that allowed me to completely switch to Linux.
    Gaming, Photoshop, MS Office, Outlook, BIN and Loadable Module security are still weak so the the switch isn't complete for me but, i agree with you Ubuntu has made Free/Libre Software useful to millions of users.

The search lens may be controversial for adding Amazon but it's easier than finding an SSL "Donate" via Paypal button on canonical's site.

Where is it if i already have an ISO and why isn't it encrypted from start to finish?

This is the error i received this morning.

Code:
    warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /srv/drupal-6.x/includes/common.inc:424) in /srv/canonical-mainsite/all/modules/ubuntu/ppdonate.inc on line 144.
    Last edited by iiiears; October 13th, 2012 at 08:07 PM.
    Lawrence Lessig - Copyright in RW/RO culture
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=byB7nKSnFBM Freedom is worth something volunteer your time, talents and dollars. How long will it last? You decide with your support.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by iiiears View Post
    Gaming, Photoshop, MS Office, Outlook, BIN and Loadable Module security are still weak so the the switch isn't complete for me but, i agree with you Ubuntu has made Free/Libre Software useful to millions of users.

The search lens may be controversial for adding Amazon but it's easier than finding an SSL "Donate" via Paypal button on canonical's site.

Where is it if i already have an ISO and why isn't it encrypted from start to finish?

This is the error i received this morning.

Code:
    warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /srv/drupal-6.x/includes/common.inc:424) in /srv/canonical-mainsite/all/modules/ubuntu/ppdonate.inc on line 144.
    You can create a bug report on Launchpad about the error you got.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehog1 View Post
    I was pleased that I could contribute to the expenses that Canonical has been carrying for these many years.
    I'm waiting until about a week after release so the server load dies down, but then I'll be donating and very much welcoming the opportunity to do so.

FWIW, I'll be setting everything to $0 except "Improve hardware support on more PCs" which I'll set to the max.

I've been hoping to see greater HW compatibility for some time to build greater credibility with the masses. It's just one vote so to speak, but at least I get to put my money where my mouth is.

Now the question is: How hard will it be to convince the Kompozer team to add a similar donation page?

Beans
    Hidden!

Can Canonical/Ubuntu do nothing without people getting their nickers in a twist?! Donate if you want to, if not don't...

The value you have gotten from Ubuntu is much greater than the money I have spent on other OS's and I am glad for another way to be able to contribute.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by iiiears View Post
    Everything in your list is valid except MS Office. You can get it to work almost perfectly in Wine.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans

Hmmm, Ubuntu are not allowed too make money. Ever. Someone will always seem too get knickers in a twist over it. Sillyness.

I wonder how many other distros are helped by sponsorships and donations? A quick look and both distros above Ubuntu on DistroWatch are Mageia and Mint, both take donations. Doesn't seem to effect their popularity... ^^

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I'm probably stupid but how does that donation page work. If I e.g. fill in $10 for 'performance optimisation', do I reward them for what they have done in this area up till now (that's actually what the title implies) or is that where they are going to invest the money in R&D?
    If you don't make backups of your important data, your data is obviously not important to you.

Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast