Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Canonical asks desktop users to "pay what you think Ubuntu is worth"

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Canonical asks desktop users to "pay what you think Ubuntu is worth"

Conical cannot need the money so badly as if you believe the hype of how much of the world is run on linux.

I would be willing to donate though if they stopped rolling out a new distro's, when the old distro has multiple bugs.

I use and love the LTS release but it can miss out on lot's of new features when developers constantly chase new versions.
    yes i'm a nood

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Closed for review.
    If you believe everything you read, you better not read. ~ Japanese Proverb

If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed. - Mark Twain

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Reopened after clean up.

You are free to disagree with someone's opinion, but please be respectful about it. (That is a general "you" btw.)
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by thatguruguy View Post
    I'm assuming you missed this post. You can use a credit card or debit card. I don't know of a way to submit a money order via a a form on a web page.
    Money order? /me brushes cobwebs away to get a clear view of some memories.....
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Never assume that information you find using a search engine is up-to-date.
    Including your email address in a post can turn it into a spam magnet.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by lisati View Post
    ... /me brushes cobwebs away to get a clear view of some memories.....
    Only works for external cobwebs
    de gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum -- Wiktionary

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post
    Only works for external cobwebs
    Unless you go to Rekall.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesA View Post
    Unless you go to Rekall.
    But they charge more than $16
    de gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum -- Wiktionary

Beans
    Distro

I intend on donating, The progression alone of Ubuntu since I started using it (2004) has been more than favorable in my eyes. I hope and expect money to go where it is needed most. Even if the money only goes to fighting the closed source OS market from pushing us out it's a win for all of us, I know everytime I have to work on one of our non-Ubuntu systems I am amazed again when I log back on my Ubuntu system how well it works for me and allows me to modify what I want usually easily.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by goldshirt9 View Post
    I use and love the LTS release but it can miss out on lot's of new features when developers constantly chase new versions.
    I too, prefer LTS releases for my main OS.

I use PPA's and backport repositories for newer features of some of the apps, to keep them current. Have you tried that?
    One Psychiatrist's Definition of Insanity:"Knowing what one should do and doing differently".

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiNZ View Post
    That doesn't answer my question. These Forums are provided for Community support and interaction. Canonical gains no direct benefit from them. They are funded by Canonical. So should Canonical continue to fund or should the community fund by way of donation. It is the same with the Developer conferences?
    I don't think that's true at all. Canonical benefits greatly from the forums because they are one of their main sources of free of charge support. It helps their image to be able to offer free community support. They are benefiting from us.

Quote Originally Posted by furtom View Post
    If Mark set up Ubuntu as not-for-profit, everything you say would be 100 percent correct. But since Canonical is trying to make a profit, that makes all the difference.

Mark has said himself, Canonical is creeping toward the break even point. When that happens, then what? Let's say it turns a profit. Is Canonical going to return the donations?

It just doesn't make sense that a business asks for donations. It doesn't matter if it's a linux business or any other.
    You really don't understand how these things work at all. Yes, Canonical is a for-profit corporation, but they never have and never will use Ubuntu to make a profit. The thing you don't understand is that Ubuntu is created and maintained by something called The Ubuntu Project, which is a collaboration of Canonical and the open source community. The Ubuntu Project is financially sponsored by Canonical, and also provided with some full time developers. Canonical isn't trying to make their profit from Ubuntu, the distribution. They have other things they use for generating revenue, like Ubuntu One, commercial support, and OEMs. Ubuntu is not Canonical; Ubuntu is sponsored by Canonical.

Did you happen to notice that the donation page is on Ubuntu's web site, and not on Canonical's web site, which is different? Did you also notice that out of the 8 options for which projects to donate to, only one of them is for a tip for Canonical, and the rest go directly to the different parts of the Ubuntu Project? Canonical is only acting as the administrator here.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast