Thread: Dell Studio 1555 sudden shutdowns

Beans

Question Dell Studio 1555 sudden shutdowns

I've attached the dmesg output with this email. The problem is that the laptop shuts down suddenly. With the Unity interface, sometimes opening the Unity menu used to trigger such a shutdown. Sometimes, putting Skype on fullscreen causes the machine to power off, and usually, a resume after standby causes the machine to shut down. By shutting down, here, I mean losing power.

I ran a memtest on this machine but got nothing out of it. Overheating can also be ruled out since sometimes it happens right after powering the machine up - right at the login screen as soon as you select your user. The laptop isn't getting very hot and the fans are running perfectly. I got the laptop dismantled and cleaned too.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans

Re: Dell Studio 1555 sudden shutdowns

Can anyone please help? I've also noticed that the crashes happen less often on windows.

Beans

Re: Dell Studio 1555 sudden shutdowns

I own a Dell 1555. After doing some research I realized I need to install proprietary ATI drivers.

Now I am in a situation where the system shuts down before installing.
    I was wondering can I edit the ISO file to include ATI files before installing Ubuntu?