Thread: linux ready printers?

Beans

linux ready printers?

I am running ubuntu 12.04 on my laptop at work. I am trying to figure out what would be the best printer to get to use at work, I am thinking an inkjet willl work just fine but which one? are there any that come with linux drivers? or is ubuntu plug and paly like windows?. I had tried to install drivers once to run a dell 715w and it would not work at all so I am hopeing that there is a cheap out of the box option.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: linux ready printers?

Quote Originally Posted by cabz View Post
    I am running ubuntu 12.04 on my laptop at work. I am trying to figure out what would be the best printer to get to use at work, I am thinking an inkjet willl work just fine but which one? are there any that come with linux drivers? or is ubuntu plug and paly like windows?. I had tried to install drivers once to run a dell 715w and it would not work at all so I am hopeing that there is a cheap out of the box option.
    I don't have much experience with other brands, but Epson inkjet printers have all been pretty much plug and play for me with Ubuntu. Epson releases Linux drivers for their printers (at least for the ones I've used).
    Asus K55A (Core i5-3210M @ 2.5GHz/8GB RAM/120GB SSD/Intel HD 4000) with Ubuntu 12.10 Beta 2
    Compaq Presario C700 (Pentium Dual-Core @ 1.6GHz/2.5GB RAM/500GB HDD/Intel GM965) with Arch Linux and Linux Mint Debian Edition

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

HP printers will work out-of-the-box. Good support under Linux.
    Epson will work also out-of-the-box.
    Canon devices suffer from poor support under Linux.

I never had any problems with my HP printer (ePhotosmart B110) and i keep the driver HPLIP up-to-date by updating it manually. HPLIP is available in the repositories but mostly this is an older version, few version lower than the latest version available at hplipopensource.

My advise: buy a HP printer.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

My experience is that the HP printers seem to support linux very well. My past 3 HP printers worked as soon as I plugged in the USB cable. I didn't have to do a thing

Beans
    Distro

No surprise that you had a problem with Dell. Dell printers are rebadged Lexmark and Lexmark inkjets are pretty poorly supported in Linux. In fact, Lexmark is discontinuing their inkjet products. As others have said, HP is well regarded. I've had pretty good luck with Brother. Brother has an installer script that makes setting up a printer pretty simple.

Beans

sounds like HP is the winner, thanks for the help.

Beans

I think this phrase is a bit unfair.............

Canon devices suffer from poor support under Linux.
    ......I see it repeatedly trotted out on linux forums...

............seems to me that all recent Canon printers come with three linux variants: rpm packages; .deb packages and source code .......

.........I feel there is a lot of work goes on at Canon to provide drivers;..

.....I think we should thank them and acknowledge the hard work that goes on..

have a look here

http://support-asia.canon-asia.com/?personal

and search on the range of devices supported
    Last edited by pdc; October 11th, 2012 at 01:13 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

@pdc:

With poor support i mean it doesn't work out-of-the-box directly. It needs drivers to be installed first and even then it's praying that the Canon device work properly as it should be. Canon has the reputation of having not good supported devices under Linux. Eventually it will work, but with a lot of headaches and stomage pains.

Beans

Linux ready printers are listed here.

http://www.openprinting.org/printers

Canon is in there...
    ( o< -Computers do not have problems, they have users. ~ Cope57
    / /\
    V_/_

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Cope57 View Post
    Linux ready printers are listed here.

http://www.openprinting.org/printers

Canon is in there...
    One thing to be aware of is that most "hardware that works with linux" lists are missing recent models that may or may not work. IMO the way to proceed is to check manufacturer's support sites for linux support. In the case of Canon, it appears that Asian, Australian and European sites have better linux support than Canon's North American sites.