Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Storing Useful Information

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Storing Useful Information

Hi,

With so much information being available on websites and online communities for Ubuntu, and other interests of mine I want to be able to record these down somewhere for easy reference in the future. Especially as I get older I tend to forget things!

I have considered the following:

• Using Gedit or similar text editor
    • Using Basic HTML to create web pages
    • Online docs service like Google Docs
    • Libre Office or Microsoft Office and storing it on Ubuntu One(Sorry, whilst I love Ubuntu, Libre Office is not a patch on Microsoft Office in my view. Sorry controversial I know)
    • Installing a Wiki installed locally
    • Using Drupal or Joomla installed locally
    • Using Website Bookmarks (I'm concerned in case the website closes down)
    • Notepad and pen!
    The sort of thing I am thinking of is for example how to install the applications I always want on a fresh install of Ubuntu. Also other interests such as books or TV shows I want to read, or gardens I want to visit.

I don't need to publish this to the world, although being able to access from any PC I am at may be useful.

Any advice or comments would be much appreciated.

Best wishes

Peter Jones

Beans

Re: Storing Useful Information

I keep a Writer doc with my Ubuntu fresh install procedures so I would recommend that.

I use Keepass for my passwords and a Spreadsheet for my income and expenditure.

Then, for various interests like upcoming music, TV shows, concerts etc, I use good old fashioned pen and paper.

Beans

I think a Wiki is the way to go. Being able to jump through a word to a page with more details or references is invaluable. There are some good ones out there, I am just about to start building one myself, have played a little with moinmoin and am sure I've seen references to ways of storing it on a stick to make it portable, still trying to figure out a way to make it accessible and update-able from everywhere...

Beans

I just send myself mails.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post
    I just send myself mails.
    Similiarly guilty, but now I have an NFS backup box, into which I just drop stuff.

Beans
    Hidden!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by zendob View Post
    I think a Wiki is the way to go. Being able to jump through a word to a page with more details or references is invaluable. There are some good ones out there, I am just about to start building one myself, have played a little with moinmoin and am sure I've seen references to ways of storing it on a stick to make it portable, still trying to figure out a way to make it accessible and update-able from everywhere...
    You might be interested in this.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I just remember. If I dont remember, it probably wasnt worth remembering anyways. If it was worth remembering and I dont remember it, than I just get on with my life. No sense in documenting every aspect of life.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I use Tiddlywiki - which is a locally installed wiki - each wiki is stored in a single html file so very easy to copy/backup. For private information I keep the relevant wiki in a Truecrypt volume.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jonesyp View Post
    Hi,

With so much information being available on websites and online communities for Ubuntu, and other interests of mine I want to be able to record these down somewhere for easy reference in the future. Especially as I get older I tend to forget things!
    I use GEdit to make a manual for installing Ubuntu fresh. All the app config and everything. I use Gedit so it doesn't take much HD space

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast