Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My first smartphone -To be decided

Beans

Re: My first smartphone -To be decided

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesA View Post
    Does it really matter what OS a phone is running?

@OP: Are you going to be using the phone in a specific area? The OP mentioned Asia. I've got a phone from Boost, with no contract, but I believe it is limited to the US only.
    No it doesn't matter, I just don't see a lot of people on a linux forum having used a windows phone. (In fact I don't see a lot of people on windows forum having used a windows phone). Might explain why nobody commented on it.

I personally wouldn't go with a windows phone, simply because of lack of "apps".

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mamamia88 View Post
    don't reccomend anything with palm os since it's basically dead
    webOS was more or less dropped by HP, but still has an excellent homebrew community, isn't locked, and is now open source. I still don't regret getting my Veer.

For me the big problem is lack of competition among app developers. It's not the type of phone you play games or have a lot of apps on. What it does is call, email, and SMS and it does it nicely.

If you think you want to try rooting, ROMS, or more than 5 apps then get an Android or iPhone.

Beans
    Hidden!

I recently purchased my first smartphone. It lets me do what I want: make phone calls and interact by SMS/TXT. The apps are a bonus.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesA View Post
    Does it really matter what OS a phone is running?

@OP: Are you going to be using the phone in a specific area? The OP mentioned Asia. I've got a phone from Boost, with no contract, but I believe it is limited to the US only.
    Like I said, I am not even looking at the calling functionality, which is not to say I want a Ipod touch.
    Something mid range,and I think that the Lumia 800 fits the bill. I just don't get why more people are not using it?? I mean the app store is a major argument, but how many of the 600000 apps in android do people actually use? Neither am I going to use to edit HD video, so why would I need the latest and greatest quad-core processor?
    Ubuntu 12.04 (best thing after 10.04) |Intel Dual Core 2.0GHz|1 Gb DDR2 RAM|Nvidia 8600GM| This PC was bartered for with an iRock from ancient Mesopotamia

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by jfreak_ View Post
    Like I said, I am not even looking at the calling functionality, which is not to say I want a Ipod touch.
    Something mid range,and I think that the Lumia 800 fits the bill. I just don't get why more people are not using it?? I mean the app store is a major argument, but how many of the 600000 apps in android do people actually use? Neither am I going to use to edit HD video, so why would I need the latest and greatest quad-core processor?
    I use a few - mostly email, media player, ssh (which is a pain in the butt on a phone), but my phone has a 4.3" touchscreen and is pretty decent for the price I paid.

I've never used the Lumia 800, so I have no option on it. If it is in your price range and you like it, go for it.

I have a ZTE Warp, myself, and it blows the crap out of the Samsung Prevail I had earlier. *shrugs*
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Are you aware that open source apps are banned in the Windows app store?
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by thomasw_lrd View Post
    Isn't that Windows phone?

I heard of them, but I've never seen one in the wild.
    I saw one a couple of months ago. I (rather facetiously) asked him if it would talk to non-windows phones, and he said yes without batting an eyelid.

Beans

I have an Orange Monte Carlo (ZTE Skate).

It runs most normal games and apps. Has bluetooth so I can use a keyboard with it and connect it too my headphones. Has a 4.5 inch screen so is usable for Kindle books and odd office stuff on the go. Too be frank, its really rather groovy.

It cost me £100 about a year ago, and is running Cynanogen Mod 9(or 10) Ice Cream Sandwich.

http://montecarlophone.co.uk/

This is my third ZTE, and so far, everythings been grand with them.

One got killed when I had a motorbike dropped on me, the other I broke myself fiddling too much with ROM's, and bricked my own phone.
    Last edited by Sableyes; October 13th, 2012 at 01:34 PM.

Beans

If I were to have a smartphone, I would go for the Galaxy S3 or an iPhone. Some friends say one is better over the other, but I am not quite sure about it. So perhaps, I will start a thread here, which is better, the S3 or the iPhone. That way, I'll be able to narrow down my choices.

Beans

Samsung Galaxy S + (Android) or Wave 3 (but it has BadaOS)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast