Thread: playable dvd creation issues

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

playable dvd creation issues

I'm trying to create a dvd for a friend to play on his dvd player but i'm not having much luck, i have been googling for a few days and have tried all the guides i can find but i am not having much luck.

the original video is in an mp4 format, i have used transmegeddon to convert to mpeg and avi, neither of these will play if i stick them straight on a disc

i have tried using devede to create the film and then burnt it to disc as an iso but that just gave me disc error messages

i have tried using brasero to create a video project but when it starts converting to mpeg2 it freezes at 3 or 4 mib and just does nothing,

are there any packages or codecs i might need that do not ship with ubuntu? i am using natty 11:04

i know the dvd writer works as i can put stuff on disc and watch it on my laptop

which programme is best for making a dvd that will work on all players?

thanks
    Totally 1 million% converted -

i'm sorry.......... Microwho?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: playable dvd creation issues

Quote Originally Posted by fractalman View Post
    I'm trying to create a dvd for a friend to play on his dvd player but i'm not having much luck, i have been googling for a few days and have tried all the guides i can find but i am not having much luck.

the original video is in an mp4 format, i have used transmegeddon to convert to mpeg and avi, neither of these will play if i stick them straight on a disc

i have tried using devede to create the film and then burnt it to disc as an iso but that just gave me disc error messages

i have tried using brasero to create a video project but when it starts converting to mpeg2 it freezes at 3 or 4 mib and just does nothing,

are there any packages or codecs i might need that do not ship with ubuntu? i am using natty 11:04

i know the dvd writer works as i can put stuff on disc and watch it on my laptop

thanks
    try installing ubuntu restricted extras..

or convert the mp4 to mpeg2 yourself, then use brasero..

guide: http://www.ehow.com/how_5957587_conv..._2-ubuntu.html
    "Those who make peaceful protest impossible make violent revolution inevitable"

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by fractalman View Post

thanks
    I have found DeVeDe to be quite unfaliable.
    Don't waste your energy trying to change opinions ... Do your thing, and don't care if they like it.

Beans
    Distro

Sorry, i should have added i already have ubuntu-restricted extras

I tried winff as suggested and it converts to mpeg fine but when i try and use brasero to create a dvd brasero freezes at 131mb like it did with the other files i tried to convert

Beans
    Distro

I'm getting the same issue on my laptop too, when it starts converting the video to mpeg2 with brasero it freezes at 131mib

any ideas?

are there any other programmes i can use to burn a dvd that will work on a dvd player?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Angry Re: playable dvd creation issues

Quote Originally Posted by sandyd View Post
    I have found DeVeDe to be quite unfaliable.
    Installing DeVeDe removes the Medibuntu files:

libavformat52
    libpostproc51
    libswscale0

Last time I installed DeVeDe it broke my Medibuntu. When I tried to repair it I ended up making a new installation of Ubuntu/Medibuntu.

Is there a better answer to this question?