Thread: Finally got around to 12.04 - So much fixing needed!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Finally got around to 12.04 - So much fixing needed!

I hate 12.04 and all the changes they forced on us. I'm spending hours fixing things I had set just right before.

Is there a good thread here that covers a of the details on how to get 12.04 back to how I liked it in 11.04?

Like dumping Unity - done.
    But how to get the window buttons back on the right, where is the theme choice now? Seems like it's gone away. And also how to get menu/status bar to be hideable again too.

I'm really thinking of going to Debian or some other Linux now as I hate that every upgrade Canonical is forcing massive interface changes. Really pisses me off how much work it is to fix things.
    Send tips to: 17raXAGM42vZX21Vcb5HDwq2GMLmVwN4qd

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Finally got around to 12.04 - So much fixing needed!

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1966370

gnome2 is dead; RIP and move on

Beans
    Distro

And wtf no alt-tab now?
    Gnome 2 may be history but what about Gnome 3?
    And I didn't ask for this Unity crud at all.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by BkkBonanza View Post
    And wtf no alt-tab now?
    Gnome 2 may be history but what about Gnome 3?
    And I didn't ask for this Unity crud at all.
    Stop criticising. If you don't like it, move on to something else.

Gnome 3 isn't a desktop environment per se; more a set of libraries. The default Gnome 3 desktop environment is Gnome-Shell, available under the gnome-shell package. Although I have a feeling you won't like that either.
    Last edited by MG&TL; October 10th, 2012 at 12:34 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

You have the right to be pissed off by something but that doesn't mean you should talk nonesense and exaggerate.

Massive interface changes on every upgrade??? Unity was introduced in 11.10 and that was the massive change compared to gnome2. But 11.10->12.04 it's the same Unity so that is not a massive change on every upgrade.

And before that it was the same gnome2 for how many versions in a row?

I don't have any links for what you want because I haven't looked for it. But there are many ubuntu tutorials, tips, tricks, etc, so I'm sure you can find what you need.

Other distros are always an option just please don't exaggerate your statements because other users who might be new to ubuntu are also reading this. Imagine how the massive changes in every version might sound to someone.
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 18.04 LTS 64bit

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by darkod View Post
    Massive interface changes on every upgrade??? Unity was introduced in 11.10 and that was the massive change compared to gnome2. But 11.10->12.04 it's the same Unity so that is not a massive change on every upgrade.
    I'm sure when I upgraded to 11.04 I had to disable Unity and undo some stuff. Now I'm re-installing from scratch with 12.04 and it's turning out to be a lot more work than even 11.04 was.

Why are they trying to force us to use a limited color theme now? I'm looking for how I can set Clearlooks like before but there isn't even a button to choose themes any more. I see an Ambiance setting and only a couple similar choices there.

Linux used to be all about choices. I put this upgrade off for so long but today my SSD died and I was pretty much forced into it.

I don't understand what the reasoning is behind not being able to Alt_tab different apps/windows. That's just annoying as hell.
    Last edited by BkkBonanza; October 10th, 2012 at 12:24 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I may have the versions wrong but I believe 11.04 was still with gnome. And anyway, the move to unity is only a one step, regardless in which version it happened, it's not like it's happening in every version.

Alt&Tab to switch windows and apps works just fine on my 12.04, straight out of the box, no settings touched.
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 18.04 LTS 64bit

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by BkkBonanza View Post
    I'm sure when I upgraded to 11.04 I had to disable Unity and undo some stuff. Now I'm re-installing from scratch with 12.04 and it's turning out to be a lot more work than even 11.04 was.

Why are they trying to force us to use a limited color theme now? I'm looking for how I can set Clearlooks like before but there isn't even a button to choose themes any more. I see an Ambiance setting and only a couple similar choices there.

Linux used to be all about choices. I put this upgrade off for so long but today my SSD died and I was pretty much forced into it.
    You can set different themes, it's just a bit more difficult now (due to technical reasons, I understand). I believe gnome-tweak-tool lets you do that.

Nothing stopping you going back to <= 11.04. ISOs still available.

Beans

Did you look through this:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1966370

There is a link in step #7 regarding the Zukitwo themes:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...5&postcount=70

Others have posted about using the Clearwaita theme, but I've never gotten it to work well, Clearlooks itself is incompatible with gnome 3.

If you want a GUI app to make some common changes you might like Ubuntu Tweak:

http://ubuntu-tweak.com/

I recommend staying away from the Janitor though!!!!

Also, I can understand your frustration, but tone down the complaining a bit or you risk getting your thread closed

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

This has been done to death already.

Closed.