Thread: Router loaded factory defaults?

Beans
    Distro
    Edubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Router loaded factory defaults?

Hi everyone.

I have a Linksys WRT router with Tomato firmware 1.28 which I loaded about a year ago and since that time router worked just fine, until yesterday. I was astonished when I found out that the router suddenly had all factory default settings including admin password. There was a power blackout in our area just yesterday, maybe also a voltage shock more than standard 230 V. So I thought maybe it is the AC power shock which caused the router to load the factory defaults. However this is strange since no other electronic components in our house seem to be damaged (pc, tv, dsl modem...), so now I'm beginning to think that some "hacker" could have done this remotely, is this possible at all. Could there be any other reason? Thanks for your help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Router loaded factory defaults?

Did you turn it off in between initial configuration and power outage? If not, there is no evidence that the router permanently saved the configuration and when the power failed, it lost its settings and got back to factory defaults.

Beans
    Distro
    Edubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Router loaded factory defaults?

Did you turn it off in between initial configuration and power outage? If not, there is no evidence that the router permanently saved the configuration and when the power failed, it lost its settings and got back to factory defaults.
    It was turned off many times before power outage, like once a month and always worked normally...very strange. I did setup everything once again and now maid the backup file of settings in case this happens again...but still it is a bit of mystery why this happened.