Thread: Mouse and speakers stopped

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Mouse and speakers stopped

Running 12.04 server with GUI. Server had sound and mouse under 32bit version, formatted and installed 64bit version. Mouse and speakers worked fine with 32b, but speakers aren't recognized under 64b. I just brought the machine home to do some work over our 3 week holiday, and now the mouse doesn't work! (ps2). Same equipment, different place. Don't know where to start. I don't have a usb mouse to try, but the mouse was fine this morning at school.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Mouse and speakers stopped

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiman View Post
    Running 12.04 server with GUI. Server had sound and mouse under 32bit version, formatted and installed 64bit version. Mouse and speakers worked fine with 32b, but speakers aren't recognized under 64b. I just brought the machine home to do some work over our 3 week holiday, and now the mouse doesn't work! (ps2). Same equipment, different place. Don't know where to start. I don't have a usb mouse to try, but the mouse was fine this morning at school.
    1. Server kernels are not compiled with extraneous non-server rubbish like Multimedia drivers.
    2. Maybe your mouse has failed.
    Regards, David.
    Please use the Forum search and Wiki search for immediate help
    Please mark your thread as Solved when appropriate
    New to technical forums?: How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Sorry mate. I guess I didn't make myself clear. The speakers WORKED with the 32 bit SERVER version AND with a prior 64 bit install. They aren't anything special just the standard speakers that come with the monitor. The mouse is a plain ps2 mouse which works fine in my other comps right beside it, as it did with the machine in question when at the school.
    BTW there are problems with the 12.04 server kernel. For example the realtec r8168 driver won't install on the 32 bit version, but goes nicely with the 64bit, and of course my little peripheral issues. Cheers!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

NO joy on the speakers, but due to several issues, I ditched 12.04 and am a happy camper with 10.04. It's the KISS principle. At least the mouse works. Didn't really need the speakers, just worried that this was an indication of another problem. I call it solved.