Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Disable PXE at boot

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Disable PXE at boot

Lars, aparently not, unless there's a secret millisecond window I'm missing. I've tried as many combinations as I could think of, and just can't get there. Admitedly not being an expert here, my logic is as follows: bios is working as it boots and I see post report, there is no setting in bios to deny bios access that I'm aware of, I've never had this problem with a windows machine, therefore Ubuntu is on the suspect list. The only others on the list are an exotic hardware failure (it woked this morning before I brought it home), and some sort of attack. Lacking any resolution, I'l take the covers off and check for loose bits which could short the mb. I suppose the only other thing is a format and re-install. Incidently the ps2 mouse port died at the same time. I've also not been able to get the sound utility to recognize the simple speakers I use, although they worked fine with both a prior 32 bit server install, and a prior 64bit server install. It would be convenient to point the finger at the mb, if it weren't for the latter.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Apparently there is an issue with the delete key on this ps2 keyboard. I discovered when I used my wireless keyboard and mouse from my other machine. Got into the bios, but no way to remove "network boot" from the list. Tried settings for PXE , but choices made boot worse. PXE runs before grub. I even did a hard format from an xp disc and re-installed ubuntu, but PXE is still there. Guess it's hopless. Thanks so much for trying.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

At the least, it can be moved down to last in the boot sequence. But there should be some way to turn it off. It may not be in the same menu though.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

After more research, some of the amibios are hard wired not to allow removing or disabling the boot from network option. Irritating as it better than half the time to boot my server looking for something that's not there. Oh well.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12