Thread: Best Hardware & Laptop to work with Ubuntu

Hybrid View

Beans

Best Hardware & Laptop to work with Ubuntu

I have a laptop which works very well with windows 7. It has 4GB memeory and 650 GB Hard disk drive. It is Intel-based with core i7. I downloaded Ubuntu but every time I run ubuntu my laptop gets hot , slow and it is suddenly switched off interrupting my work. I do not know what is the exact problem but I thought the problem with the hardware. It might be not suitable for Ubuntu. I will buy another Laptop but I want to choose a good laptop that proved by experiments to be suitable to Ubuntu. I am here to ask for advice, recommend and your experience. Which Laptop, or desktop pc do you use? Have you ever faced the same problem I am facing now?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Best Hardware &Laptop to work with Ubuntu

Welcome to the forums and the world of freedom! I applaud your determination, which will serve you well.

Your options will be limited by your price range and (somewhat) by where you live.

I don't know that it's the "best", but I've been running Ubuntu (nearly exclusively) on a Toshiba Satellite P755-S5265 for about a year now, and the hardware performance has been great. There are three things that don't work in Ubuntu, and I think they're all ACPI-related:
    1. The backlit keyboard - this was a bit of a disappointment.
    2. Toshiba's eco-mode button - Doesn't really bother me.
    3. USB powered-while-off - haven't really wanted to use it. I've heard testimonials that this mode causes battery drain issues when used with Windows.

Graphics, wireless, sound, and HDMI all worked beautifully out-of-box, with no additional drivers needed. The machine doesn't get any warmer than I would expect (unlike my last machine, which could have boiled water on the GPU).
    Last edited by newb85; October 10th, 2012 at 02:17 AM. Reason: Noticed something
    Jane, stop this crazy thing!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

You may have noticed that in Ubuntu Forums there is a forum named System76 Support. It is located in The Ubuntu Forum Community>Ubuntu Specialized Support>System76 Support.

System76 only sells computers with Ubuntu installed and supports their computers and Ubuntu under warranty. I own a System76 and everything works well for me.

You can browse System76's offerings at: https://www.system76.com/
    System76 Serval Pro 7: Ubuntu 14.04; Dell Latitude D800: Lubuntu 14.04

Ubuntu problems? http://www.googlubuntu.com/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I use a HP g72t it has 500GB hard drive and 4 GB RAM. It works great with Ubuntu except I had to edit a line in grub to make the screen not dim at boot. Also cheap. It is similar to this newer one
    http://shopping.hp.com/en_US/home-of...D0&PageSize=15

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Working from a Asus G73jh-A1 i believe XD still works flawlessly

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

what is the GPU in the laptop you have, you may need a proprietary driver to get the energy efficiency under control
    in the case of my laptop it needed a kernel update (10.04 ran 10C hotter)
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Quote Originally Posted by ZahrahLand View Post
    I have a laptop which works very well with windows 7. It has 4GB memeory and 650 GB Hard disk drive. It is Intel-based with core i7. I downloaded Ubuntu but every time I run ubuntu my laptop gets hot , slow and it is suddenly switched off interrupting my work. I do not know what is the exact problem but I thought the problem with the hardware. It might be not suitable for Ubuntu. I will buy another Laptop but I want to choose a good laptop that proved by experiments to be suitable to Ubuntu. I am here to ask for advice, recommend and your experience. Which Laptop, or desktop pc do you use? Have you ever faced the same problem I am facing now?
    Personally, I use ThinkPads, and Lenovo is very Linux friendly. But, they're not the only suppliers of certified for Ubuntu hardware, take a look here:

http://www.ubuntu.com/certification/desktop/
    Last edited by OrangeCrate; October 11th, 2012 at 03:56 PM. Reason: fixed link