Thread: Tracking total time a user has been logged in (over a period of months)?

Beans

Tracking total time a user has been logged in (over a period of months)?

I need a way to track and display the amount of time a user has spent logged in to the system over the past day,week,month,year etc? I tried the acct package, but the AC command always just shows:
    Code:
    total   0.00
    Looking for a Terminal Emulator that's fun to use? Try out this program I wrote!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Tracking total time a user has been logged in (over a period of months)?

should we assume any given user is logging in, or out?
    I think you can use the last command to see who was logged in when.
    is this users on 1 computer or users on multiple computers like with LDAP?
    ~Conradin~

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I think you can use the last command to see who was logged in when.
    Im not sure where a con fig file is for last, but /var/log/wtmp is the file of logins.

the output of last on my system seems to be about 1 week
    ~Conradin~

Beans

I want to track the total time a given user had been using the computer this month (day/week/year etc). It's only one machine, not a network.
    Looking for a Terminal Emulator that's fun to use? Try out this program I wrote!

Beans

.......buuuuuuuuuump.

Beans
    Hidden!

what i am thinking that , the past information you can't retrieve but you can make it available for future .

Code:
    uptime
    is BASH command while gives the

Code:
     19:56:23 up 32 min,  0 users,  load average: 0.53, 0.61, 0.66
    there up will indicates the uptime . so what i suggest that , you can have script like this and add to before shutdown .
    http://en.kioskea.net/faq/3348-ubunt...pt-at-shutdown

Code:
    raja@badfox:~$ cat try.sh 
    #!/bin/bash

uptime >  uptime.txt
    date
     awk '{print $3 $4}' uptime.txt
    Code:
    raja@badfox:~$ ./try.sh
    Thu Oct 11 20:06:57 IST 2012
    43 min
    Code:
    raja@badfox:~$ ./try.sh >> time.txt

so add this script to before shutdown so every time it will run automatically and stores the information everytime with date also . so you can easily track his time history .

Thanks man , nice Question .

PS : any improvements are welcome here .
    Dont miss anything even it is small. one small pin is enough to bring down a man.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by raja.genupula View Post
    what i am thinking that , the past information you can't retrieve but you can make it available for future .

Code:
    uptime
    is BASH command while gives the

Code:
     19:56:23 up 32 min,  0 users,  load average: 0.53, 0.61, 0.66
    there up will indicates the uptime . so what i suggest that , you can have script like this and add to before shutdown .
    http://en.kioskea.net/faq/3348-ubunt...pt-at-shutdown

Code:
    raja@badfox:~$ cat try.sh 
    #!/bin/bash

uptime >  uptime.txt
    date
     awk '{print $3 $4}' uptime.txt
    Code:
    raja@badfox:~$ ./try.sh
    Thu Oct 11 20:06:57 IST 2012
    43 min
    Code:
    raja@badfox:~$ ./try.sh >> time.txt

so add this script to before shutdown so every time it will run automatically and stores the information everytime with date also . so you can easily track his time history .

Thanks man , nice Question .

PS : any improvements are welcome here .
    mmm, thanks for the reply. However, there are multiple accounts on this machine, and I need to see how long each account has used the machine for. Also, these sit in the community library, so much of the uptime will be spent at the login screen with nobody using it, but still accruing uptime.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by yanom View Post
    mmm, thanks for the reply. However, there are multiple accounts on this machine, and I need to see how long each account has used the machine for. Also, these sit in the community library, so much of the uptime will be spent at the login screen with nobody using it, but still accruing uptime.
    ok check here . you can have the script running for logout

http://superuser.com/questions/12745...hutdown-ubuntu
    Dont miss anything even it is small. one small pin is enough to bring down a man.