Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Laptop does not suspend

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Laptop does not suspend

For hibernating, make sure that your Ubuntu swap partition is equal in size to your RAM (I usually set mine to 1MB more than my RAM).

I know your question is about suspending, but I've had problems with suspension before and making sure the swap partition was large enough solved it for me. A swap of 2G should be more than enough for suspending unless you have a very large amount of RAM.
    Last edited by clay7; October 11th, 2012 at 03:28 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceNo1 View Post
    1-No i use only laptop screen
    2-Laptop is not docked
    3-Yes it suspends in Windows, i tried that
    4-The command you quoted did not do anything at first. I closed the lid, waited 10 seconds and opened, and nothing changed. Then i began typing here and it suddenly decided to suspend. I mean it suspended 1 or 2 minutes after i closed and re-opened the lid. The command returned :
    Code:
    button/lid LID0 00000080 00000001
    button/lid LID0 00000080 00000002
    What's the delay?
    That is odd. Can you confirm whether this delay happens all the time (is repeatable)?

Also, have you tried booting previous kernels to see if the problem is specific to this kernel?

Beans

I just repeated that, yes it happened again. By the way there is something i forgot to mention. When i drag my mouse to the upper left corner of the screen, the gnome activities panel opens up. There i see my desktop background image corrupted. Nothing else, just the background image is corrupted. Ok now i will try another kernel

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by clay7 View Post
    For hibernating, make sure that your Ubuntu swap partition is equal in size to your RAM (I usually set mine to 1MB more than my RAM).

I know your question is about suspending, but I've had problems with suspension before and making sure the swap partition was large enough solved it for me. A swap of 2G should be more than enough for suspending unless you have a very large amount of RAM.
    I can't see my swap partition in nautilus, how can i see that?

edit. ok i see it now from disk utility, it is 4.3 gb
    Last edited by PrinceNo1; October 11th, 2012 at 11:27 PM.

Beans

I booted in previous kernel (the only one i have as previous) 3.2.029 now and there is nothing different. The problem is same. But i have classic gnome in this kernel is this normal?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceNo1 View Post
    I booted in previous kernel (the only one i have as previous) 3.2.029 now and there is nothing different. The problem is same. But i have classic gnome in this kernel is this normal?
    1. Does this delay happen every time you close and open the lid?

2. Can you close lid, wait 5 seconds, open lid then post back /var/log/pm-suspend.log and /var/log/syslog? Use these commands and post back the link that is generated:
    Code:
    pastebinit /var/log/pm-suspend.log
    pastebinit /var/log/syslog
    I want to see if there is anything in your log files.

Beans

Toz, thank you for giving time, i appreciate your help. My ubuntu doesn't recognize it when i close the lid at all. Suspend only works with "acpi_listen" command and with a couple of minutes delay. Also works only manually. Also everything works in my windows os. Here is the generated links:
    http://paste.ubuntu.com/1274489/
    http://paste.ubuntu.com/1274490/

Beans

Strange things happen here. Now i just did what you asked, closed lid and waited and opened and installed pastebinit, ran the commands you told me to, wrtitten a message and it suddenly decided to suspend after so long time (around 3-4 minutes maybe much later)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I don't see anything wrong or of interest in your log files. Do you have some acpi-related settings in your bios? Perhaps something about a timer?

Beans

I didn't open my bios settings for so long time, i don't remember changing anything, i go and take a look

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast