No is not for sure.
    Did you run the same script ?

Do you have the same results in
    Code:
    cat /etc/default/grub
    and
    Code:
    ls /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/
    This is not a generic fix. It is a specific fix for the problem of OP , cuz he ran a script that changed some critical lines in config files.

Thanks

Beans

Re: Video Resolution 12.0.4

Thanks for the reply NikTh. I applied all the commands 1 by 1 and then did the reboot. It started to start with the log on info and once I put the password in, it started to act a little sketchy. It finally came up to the normal resolution for about a minute or so but started to blink and change resolution from normal to very large. Could only see about 1/4 of screen. I was able to do a second reboot and thought it was going to hold that time but started the blinking and resolution changing back and forth. It finally locked up and would not respond to anything, so I powered it down.

I must have messed more than the resolution up during the changes that I made. It was a fresh install so no info was lost and I believe I will just do another fresh install this weekend when I get back home. I work on the road and was just tweaking it a little and don't have the disk with me. My ThinkPad that I am using now with a dual boot Windows and Ubuntu has been rock solid since day 1. I have been trying to learn how to work with Ubuntu for a little while but it is coming to me very slow.

One last question though if you don't mind?? Is there a way to just change the resolution of the boot/splash screen on start up and shut down?? I know I did it in 10.10 but really can't remember what I did. Once again, thanks for all the help.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by kb4not View Post
    Thanks for the reply NikTh. I applied all the commands 1 by 1 and then did the reboot.
    I just edited my post and added a command. I apologize for that I missed one point.
    Can you run again the commands one by one (from the beginning) ?

Thanks

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

.One last question though if you don't mind?? Is there a way to just change the resolution of the boot/splash screen on start up and shut down?? I know I did it in 10.10 but really can't remember what I did. Once again, thanks for all the help.
    12.04 is a little more complex in boot - splash - resolution.

A more safely way to test if you can change the resolution is to install a program grub-customizer and try to change it from there.

A general suggestion : Do not run scripts in blind from any site.
    First open the script with an editor (eg : gedit) check it out , and if you have queries you can post the contents here and leave other people (me not included)* to read it and see if will apply correctly in your Ubuntu version.

*I don't know scripting , I can read commands but for this specific problem of yours I know that in 12.04 change the splash screen and/or the resolution is more complex and difficult than other (previous) versions. (of Ubuntu)

Thanks

Beans

well ill try that lines... but dont work in xubuntu ill use to have a wide screenn and the funny part is i dont change the screen resolution...and i cant have my old 1366x768...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by jmmarchioli View Post
    well ill try that lines... but dont work in xubuntu ill use to have a wide screenn and the funny part is i dont change the screen resolution...and i cant have my old 1366x768...
    Did you download and ran the same script ? "fixplymouth" ?

If yes , then you can try to run the commands again ( I added 2 new commands) and see .

BUT ONLY if you run the SAME script as OP .

Thanks

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by NikTh View Post
    I just edited my post and added a command. I apologize for that I missed one point.
    Can you run again the commands one by one (from the beginning) ?

Thanks
    I will see if it will boot back up to get to the terminal. Just tried it and I hear it but the screen is now just black. If it won't boot normally, is there a way to do like safe mode in Windows??

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I will see if it will boot back up to get to the terminal. Just tried it and I hear it but the screen is now just black. If it won't boot normally, is there a way to do like safe mode in Windows??
    Yes,

2 options

1st boot from recovery mode . Recovery mode is listed in grub menu . If you haven't grub menu at startup , then hold down the [Shift] key during boot until grub menu loads.
    When you boot from recovery mode , at the opened window select "FailSafeX" . See if boots correctly in low graphics.

2nd option is from a LiveCd/Usb. Boot from there and "Try Ubuntu" . Then we must follow another method to mount your drive and find the affected files.

Thanks

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by NikTh View Post
    Yes,

2 options

1st boot from recovery mode . Recovery mode is listed in grub menu . If you haven't grub menu at startup , then hold down the [Shift] key during boot until grub menu loads.
    When you boot from recovery mode , at the opened window select "FailSafeX" . See if boots correctly in low graphics.

2nd option is from a LiveCd/Usb. Boot from there and "Try Ubuntu" . Then we must follow another method to mount your drive and find the affected files.

Thanks
    OK I got it in recovery mode with the shift key method. But once in there I could choose the FailSaFeX mode and it would warn me about the graphics and then lock up. No mouse or keyboard options. I'm pretty sure at this point that I must have changed much more than the resolution. It's acting very erratic now so I do believe that I will just do the fresh install this weekend. The Mac-Lion them was working great and so was the system until I started trying to tweak the boot/splash resolution. Live and learn I guess. Thank you very much for the help and I will work with the gedit next time first.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

OK I got it in recovery mode with the shift key method. But once in there I could choose the FailSaFeX mode and it would warn me about the graphics and then lock up. No mouse or keyboard options. I'm pretty sure at this point that I must have changed much more than the resolution. It's acting very erratic now so I do believe that I will just do the fresh install this weekend. The Mac-Lion them was working great and so was the system until I started trying to tweak the boot/splash resolution. Live and learn I guess. Thank you very much for the help and I will work with the gedit next time first.
    This is sad. I was almost sure that commands I gave would recover your screen resolution.
    OK, reinstall Ubuntu is always a quick solution , but for me is not a solution or workaround.
    If you want to reinstall Ubuntu I will suggest the way that you don't remove your personal data. (and/or personal config files).
    This way removes everything being in / root partition (system) and will fix any affected files of the system (you changed).

Choose "something else" from the installer and then choose (mark-tick) the partition with Ubuntu and click "change" , in the next window select everything except the box to format the partition .

Check out the attached images.

Thanks and good luck.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by NikTh; October 10th, 2012 at 08:13 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12