Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Trying to get Calligra 2.6 so I can see what Author is like?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Yarnton, Oxfordshire
    Beans
    149
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Trying to get Calligra 2.6 so I can see what Author is like?

    jacky@jacky-Aspire-6930G:~$ [url "git://anongit.kde.org/"]
    No command '[url' found, did you mean:
    Command 'curl' from package 'curl' (main)
    [url: command not found
    jacky@jacky-Aspire-6930G:~$ insteadOf = kde:
    insteadOf: command not found
    jacky@jacky-Aspire-6930G:~$ [url "ssh://git@git.kde.org/"]
    No command '[url' found, did you mean:
    Command 'curl' from package 'curl' (main)
    [url: command not found
    jacky@jacky-Aspire-6930G:~$ pushInsteadOf = kde:wget -c http://anongit.kde.org/calligra/calligra-latest.tar.gz
    pushInsteadOf: command not found
    jacky@jacky-Aspire-6930G:~$ wget -c http://anongit.kde.org/calligra/calligra-latest.tar.gz
    --2012-09-20 11:50:13-- http://anongit.kde.org/calligra/calligra-latest.tar.gz
    Resolving anongit.kde.org (anongit.kde.org)... 31.216.41.69, 2a01:4f8:130:4ffd:1:cae:dee:ee05
    Connecting to anongit.kde.org (anongit.kde.org)|31.216.41.69|:80... connected.
    HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 302 Moved Temporarily
    Location: /calligra/calligra_20120919041339_sha1-1910dc42144c28268b63b75257e974049acc78be.tar.gz [following]
    --2012-09-20 11:50:14-- http://anongit.kde.org/calligra/calligra_20120919041339_sha1-1910dc42144c28268b63b75257e974049acc78be.tar.gz
    Reusing existing connection to anongit.kde.org:80.
    HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
    Length: 541575126 (516M) [text/plain]
    Saving to: `calligra-latest.tar.gz'

    67% [=========================> ] 365,906,800 --.-K/s eta 26m 39s
    67% [=========================> ] 365,906,800 --.-K/s in 61m 14s

    2012-09-20 12:51:28 (97.3 KB/s) - Read error at byte 365906800/541575126 (Connection timed out). Retrying.

    --2012-09-20 12:51:29-- (try: 2) http://anongit.kde.org/calligra/calligra_20120919041339_sha1-1910dc42144c28268b63b75257e974049acc78be.tar.gz
    Connecting to anongit.kde.org (anongit.kde.org)|31.216.41.69|:80... connected.
    HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 206 Partial Content
    Length: 541575126 (516M), 175668326 (168M) remaining [text/plain]
    Saving to: `calligra-latest.tar.gz'

    100%[++++++++++++++++++++++++++============>] 541,575,126 250K/s in 23m 7s

    2012-09-20 13:14:37 (124 KB/s) - `calligra-latest.tar.gz' saved [541575126/541575126]

    jacky@jacky-Aspire-6930G:~$
    jacky@jacky-Aspire-6930G:~$ $ ./initrepo.sh
    $: command not found
    jacky@jacky-Aspire-6930G:~$ ^C
    jacky@jacky-Aspire-6930G:~$ tar -zxvf {file.tar.gz}
    tar (child): {file.tar.gz}: Cannot open: No such file or directory
    tar (child): Error is not recoverable: exiting now
    tar: Child returned status 2
    tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
    jacky@jacky-Aspire-6930G:~$ tar -zxvf backup.tar.gz
    tar (child): backup.tar.gz: Cannot open: No such file or directory
    tar (child): Error is not recoverable: exiting now
    tar: Child returned status 2
    tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
    jacky@jacky-Aspire-6930G:~$

    So you can see where I got. I think the problem is I don't really know how to unpack the files.

    Here is where I was trying to get it from.

    http://community.kde.org/Calligra/Building#Get_the_source_code_for_the_development_v ersion

    Using Ubuntu 12.4

    I don't think this is a stable release yet but I am rather keen to try it out. I may of course be barking up the wrong tree but now I downloaded all that......I am not even sure it is a release as such? Anyway be interesting to see how far they are on if anyone can figure that out and tell me and the release itself is due in December.
    Last edited by Jackalyn; September 20th, 2012 at 01:32 PM.
    Still deciding what to say.....

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Bombay
    Beans
    6,213
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: Trying to get Calligra 2.6 so I can see what Author is like?

    Why don't you use the GUI? Open your file manager (Nautilus?). Change to the folder holding the tar file, right-click on it and choose "extract here".
    de gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum -- Wiktionary

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Yarnton, Oxfordshire
    Beans
    149
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: Trying to get Calligra 2.6 so I can see what Author is like?

    Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post
    Why don't you use the GUI? Open your file manager (Nautilus?). Change to the folder holding the tar file, right-click on it and choose "extract here".
    That is what I wanted to do but I cannot find the file!!!!
    Still deciding what to say.....

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    London
    Beans
    1,873
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Trying to get Calligra 2.6 so I can see what Author is like?

    It should be in your /home folder, since that is the folder you ran wget from.

    If you have trouble finding something, the "locate" command is useful. First, update the database:

    Code:
    sudo updatedb
    Then run locate, in this case you're looking for "calligra-latest"

    Code:
    locate calligra-latest
    It should find you the right folder location instantly.

    You could also install recoll, which is a good file indexer and is simple to use. It not only lets you search for filenames, but also the text within files.

    I think KDE has something like that running as standard, not sure if Gnome does, but I see recoll has now got a Unity lens.

    .

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Yarnton, Oxfordshire
    Beans
    149
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: Trying to get Calligra 2.6 so I can see what Author is like?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sealbhach View Post
    It should be in your /home folder, since that is the folder you ran wget from.

    If you have trouble finding something, the "locate" command is useful. First, update the database:

    Code:
    sudo updatedb
    Then run locate, in this case you're looking for "calligra-latest"

    Code:
    locate calligra-latest
    It should find you the right folder location instantly.

    You could also install recoll, which is a good file indexer and is simple to use. It not only lets you search for filenames, but also the text within files.

    I think KDE has something like that running as standard, not sure if Gnome does, but I see recoll has now got a Unity lens.

    .
    Thanks for that . I now know the search thingummy I do have is not as good as I thoght. I will have a look at some of those others. For no apparent reasonthe 2.6 calligra download was under 'templates.'

    I have managed to extract the files. So far so good and now it is on my desktop.

    Now all I need to understand is how to get the whole thing to work! I can open and read the individual files in calligra- some of them, but am not sure how to actually execute the whole thing...just lost on where .exe is?
    Still deciding what to say.....

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Yarnton, Oxfordshire
    Beans
    149
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: Trying to get Calligra 2.6 so I can see what Author is like?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jackalyn View Post
    Thanks for that . I now know the search thingummy I do have is not as good as I thoght. I will have a look at some of those others. For no apparent reasonthe 2.6 calligra download was under 'templates.'

    I have managed to extract the files. So far so good and now it is on my desktop.

    Now all I need to understand is how to get the whole thing to work! I can open and read the individual files in calligra- some of them, but am not sure how to actually execute the whole thing...just lost on where .exe is?
    Wow and thanks...recoll will be so useful to someone like me who often remembers text and can't think where they wrote something.
    Still deciding what to say.....

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Yarnton, Oxfordshire
    Beans
    149
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: Trying to get Calligra 2.6 so I can see what Author is like?

    I think the problem is that the instructions to say run intrepo.sh i just cannot seem to do that? Calligra itself does not recognise it? (Made it executable.)
    Still deciding what to say.....

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Yarnton, Oxfordshire
    Beans
    149
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: Trying to get Calligra 2.6 so I can see what Author is like?

    Just to say I finally resolved how to get the components of Calligra Author which is in Beta into Calligra 2.5. It occurred to me that as I had all the files for Author I could merge them with Calligra 2.5 and this got me where I needed to be. I think. OOOPS No I didn't! However have a lot more functionality in Calligra than before?

    I am not yet impressed with Calligra over other things writers of books can use though but seeing it is in the making, I can do what I wanted to see it for and send them feedback.

    To be honest, what is needed is a publisher who is also a programmer who writes their own books/
    Last edited by Jackalyn; October 10th, 2012 at 10:20 AM.
    Still deciding what to say.....

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •