Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Unity 6.8 poor performance

Beans

Re: Unity 6.8 poor performance

In lieu of any real/useful 2d or 3d benchmarking I'd say unity/compiz has gotten slower based on real use experience, at least with nvidia & as supplied.
    (glxgears is worthless, glxperf not far behind

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    In lieu of any real/useful 2d or 3d benchmarking I'd say unity/compiz has gotten slower based on real use experience, at least with nvidia & as supplied.
    I think what we are observing is Ubuntu developers have ready access to Intel software and always make sure the updates work correctly and take advantage to what Intel is doing, improving.

My box is snappy, and getting better with each Intel upgrade. It's still Sandy Bridge, HD3000, but come the new year will upgrade to Ivy Bridge.
    Regards, frank, at http://yantrayoga.typepad.com/noname/
    Homebuilt Lian-Li PC-Q30X Intel i5-4670K 4.0GHz, SSDs, 16G RAM | Dell laptop E1505n, netbook 10n
    Oracle VBox w/ WinXP Pro running Xara Designer, PaintShopPro, and InDesign CS.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by fjgaude View Post
    I think what we are observing is Ubuntu developers have ready access to Intel software and always make sure the updates work correctly and take advantage to what Intel is doing, improving.

My box is snappy, and getting better with each Intel upgrade. It's still Sandy Bridge, HD3000, but come the new year will upgrade to Ivy Bridge.
    Same here, and I'm using Ivy Bridge (HD 4000).
    Asus K55A (Core i5-3210M @ 2.5GHz/8GB RAM/120GB SSD/Intel HD 4000) with Ubuntu 12.10 Beta 2
    Compaq Presario C700 (Pentium Dual-Core @ 1.6GHz/2.5GB RAM/500GB HDD/Intel GM965) with Arch Linux and Linux Mint Debian Edition

TenPlus1 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Smile Re: Unity 6.8 poor performance

Agreed, Intel seems to be improving in leaps and bounds with graphic speeds on the desktop where Nvidia/Amd work towards 3D performance for gaming...

My 10 year old Compaq m2000 laptop with Intel Extreme 2 graphics runs the desktop quicker than my 1 year old Acer Aspire using Nvidia Ion Rev.2...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    Same here. AMD + nvidia. that's why i removed compiz and all of its cousins and went back to gnome classic. Now its very snappy. I don't need any of that 3D effects.
    boot_info_script | AMD64 Athlon X2 Dual-Core - nVidia Geforce 6150 SE - 4GB DDR3

Beans
    Distro

I've got to agree with the other AMD & Nvidia users here. Unity is becoming more and more sluggish and frustrating to work with. Are Unity developers not testing anything other than Intel and assuming everything else is fine?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kyleabaker View Post
    I've got to agree with the other AMD & Nvidia users here. Unity is becoming more and more sluggish and frustrating to work with. Are Unity developers not testing anything other than Intel and assuming everything else is fine?
    I'd think it's known, will likely take time to address
    (& by then there will be more changes, additions so more 'items' to address. - one step forward, half (or more) step back

A quick search of just compiz - tag performance shows 17 new
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/compiz/+b...ag=performance
    Some more with tag gdebugger
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/compiz/+b....tag=gdebugger

Also am noticing some new issues with nouveau, maybe kernel related but in any event will add to user problems as user base increases

It's also well known how bad llvmpipe is going to be for most hardware requiring - the changelog for current compiz pretty much says so though "slow ui" is likely an understatement
    * debian/patches/unity_support_test.patch:
    - force llvmpipe in the unity profile if we are in the grey zone, meaning:
    the card and drivers have opengl support, however, it doesn't met unity
    requirements (opengl < 1.4, no vertex shaders support…). Thanks duflu
    (LP: #1039155)
    Note that we already discourage them to upgrade from precise to quantal
    with a warning before the upgrade, however let's get a slow ui rather
    than none on the iso as well.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I have the Intel Core i5-3210M with Intel HD Graphics 4000 and Ubuntu Unity 6.8.0 is faster than in Ubuntu 12.04.1 64 bit LTS.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Welly Wu View Post
    I have the Intel Core i5-3210M with Intel HD Graphics 4000 and Ubuntu Unity 6.8.0 is faster than in Ubuntu 12.04.1 64 bit LTS.
    Same here, but with HD3000 and Intel i5-2405S, a very low power CPU but still fast when it called to action.
    Regards, frank, at http://yantrayoga.typepad.com/noname/
    Homebuilt Lian-Li PC-Q30X Intel i5-4670K 4.0GHz, SSDs, 16G RAM | Dell laptop E1505n, netbook 10n
    Oracle VBox w/ WinXP Pro running Xara Designer, PaintShopPro, and InDesign CS.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by fjgaude View Post

I have intel ironlake (one generation before sandybridge). The unity dash is *incredibly* slow in both 12.04 and 12.10. Doing things like dragging an icon from dash to launcher is super laggy, if I open the dash when I have a video playing the dash takes forever to open and is super laggy (can see the icons all VERY slowly loading in) its pretty ridiculous. The same chip runs gnome-shell totally smoothly, and even kwin (with kwin's active blur too).

Every since they introduced blur in the dash its been like this, its very poorly optimized. Kwin's active blur has no such performance hit. Of course you can disable the blur, but that makes the dash unreadable, and static blur is just ugly :/. I really like unity, but they need to speed up the dash, a lot.
    Desktop: Windows 8 x64 | Intel Core i5-2500 | 16 GB DDR3 1333 | ATI 6950 2gb | 64gb Vertex 2/320gb/750gb/1tb hdd
    Laptop: System76 Lemur Ultra | Xubuntu 13.04 x64 | 2.5Ghz Intel Core i5-3210m | 8GB DDR31600 | Intel HD4000 | 500GB 7200rpm hybrid hdd

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast