Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu on a netbook. Wait for 12.10?

Beans

Ubuntu on a netbook. Wait for 12.10?

My friend has a really slow 2 yr old Toshiba netbook with 1GB of RAM. She is annoyed how slow Windows Starter runs on it so I suggested switching to Ubuntu. Since 12.10 is due in a few days, I'm not sure if we should wait before installing Ubuntu or if we should install it now in order to use Unity 2D. For a low-end device, should we use Unity 2D or use Unity 3D on 12.10 since Unity 2D is no longer present in 12.10? I understand Unity 3D has been greatly improved but is it faster than Unity 2D in the LTS version for a low-spec'd device?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Ubuntu on a netbook. Wait for 12.10?

Quote Originally Posted by penubag View Post
    My friend has a really slow 2 yr old Toshiba netbook with 1GB of RAM. She is annoyed how slow Windows Starter runs on it so I suggested switching to Ubuntu. Since 12.10 is due in a few days, I'm not sure if we should wait before installing Ubuntu or if we should install it now in order to use Unity 2D. For a low-end device, should we use Unity 2D or use Unity 3D on 12.10 since Unity 2D is no longer present in 12.10? I understand Unity 3D has been greatly improved but is it faster than Unity 2D in the LTS version for a low-spec'd device?
    I'd rather you installed 12.04 on that netbook, as Quantal has problems that may not be fixed by the release date. One other thing I'd like to suggest, is that if you do install Ubuntu on your friends netbook, be prepared to support it personally for at least a couple of years. installing it for someone, then telling them to use the forum for support is almost guaranteed to have them asking you to reinstall windows, in a very short time.

Beans

Thank you for your suggestion. I will install 12.04

Beans
    Distro

I am running Quantal (12.10) on several computers, some of them fairly old, and performance is a mixed bag.

On two laptops (Dell C840 from 2002 with a Nvidia Geforce4 440 Go, DirectX 7), standard 12.10 is unusable because the graphics performance is so bad that menus literally take a minute to appear, CPU maxes out, in short: not recommended.

On another machine from 2002, but a desktop with a Nvidia Geforce 6600 GT added (also from 2004, so 8 years old graphics, but DirectX 9), 12.10 runs well and better than the XP boot option.

I am currently answering from this machine.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    I'd rather you installed 12.04 on that netbook, as Quantal has problems that may not be fixed by the release date. One other thing I'd like to suggest, is that if you do install Ubuntu on your friends netbook, be prepared to support it personally for at least a couple of years. installing it for someone, then telling them to use the forum for support is almost guaranteed to have them asking you to reinstall windows, in a very short time.
    Are you talking about unity-related issues, or other kind of issues which affect all the releases?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by emk2203 View Post
    On two laptops (Dell C840 from 2002 with a Nvidia Geforce4 440 Go, DirectX 7), standard 12.10 is unusable because the graphics performance is so bad that menus literally take a minute to appear, CPU maxes out, in short: not recommended.
    How does unity 2d fair on that machine?

Beans

For netbooks, a better choice might be Xubuntu 12.04.

Beans
    Distro

My friend has a really slow 2 yr old Toshiba netbook with 1GB of RAM.[...]

I'm not sure if we should wait before installing Ubuntu or if we should install it now[...]

I understand Unity 3D has been greatly improved but is it faster than Unity 2D in the LTS version for a low-spec'd device?
    You NEED to go the 2D route, which would necessitate 12.04 LTS. However, may I strongly suggest...

Peppermint OS (a Lubuntu fork) would be a much better way go!

LINKAGE: http://peppermintos.com/

That's what I run on my netbook, and USB-stick installs. You can't beat it!

You'll still be running Ubuntu, but it's a very special implementation, specifically designed for speed, efficiency, and beauty on hardware with limited resources.
    Intel ® P4 Extreme Edition 3.4 (Gallatin) || DFI ® LanParty PRO875B rev B1
    Crucial ® Ballistix Tracer PC4000 1GB || Mountain Mods U2-UFO Opti-1203
    XFX 7600GT 560M AGP (PV-T73A-UDF3) || Corsair HX520W Modular PSU

Beans

Wow so many options, that's what's great about Linux. Peppermint looks pretty nice and so does Lubuntu. I'll see how Ubuntu 2D fairs since we already downloaded the iso and if we want to try something else, we'll look into Peppermint.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

i have been running xubuntu 12.10 for a couple weeks now only had 2 apps crash on me
    file-roller (extract here/extract to from the right click menu in the file browser)
    i have has thunar crash 2 or 3 times (one was related to a file-roller crash i think) the other happened when displaying pictures on my sd card as thunmbnails (255 of them)
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included
    I frequently edit my post several times when I have the last post
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast