Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does My Doctor Comply HIPAA when she Sends me Personal Health Information over Gmail?

Beans

Does My Doctor Comply HIPAA when she Sends me Personal Health Information over Gmail?

By default Gmail encrypts all of its communication with SHTTP. That was done to keep the Chinese government from spying on Chinese dissidents who used Gmail. Is that same process sufficient to allow my doctor to send me personal health information?

I have a Gmail account and I use the web interface through Gmail. I can also use Thunderbird as a Gmail client. Do I have to use Thunderbird to comply with HIPAA?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Does My Doctor Comply HIPAA when she Sends me Personal Health Information over Gm

Although I am not familiar with these matters, I would expect that anything that is supposed to be good enough to keep out the Chinese government would probably be pretty secure. Anyway, you could start by looking at these two Wikipedia pages and perhaps following the links to the cited references.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hipaa

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shttp

On top of that, if your doctor suggested the method, you could simply ask the doctor if he or she has adequately researched the subject. If you are concerned about HIPPA then I assume you are in the USA. I can't imagine a doctor in the USA leaving himself open to being sued.
    Michael

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Does My Doctor Comply HIPAA when she Sends me Personal Health Information over Gm

This is an urban myth. SHTTP was not implemented because of concerns over the Chinese govt. Google is far more concerned with compromised financial transactions, nosy neighbours, etc than they are with foreign governments. Nonetheless, some standard rules of use must be repeated here.

ALL e-mail must be treated as publicly viewable. Without exception. They reside on public servers, are backed up every night by your ISP and are routed through god knows how many routers and servers before they ever land on your computer. From the sound of it, neither your doctor nor you are using anything like gpg encryption on the stuff you intend to send each other, so your e-mail is viewable by any geek who can scan last night's ISP backup.

The fact is that e-mail today is largely "secure" only because the sheer volume of it imposes a sort of security through anonymity. Any dedicated hacker can intercept your e-mail with little effort using ready-made tools that are so common, they can be downloaded by torrent. If you wish to practice even minimally robust security, your doctor and you must install the gpg module on your e-mail client, then actually commit to encrypting it. Otherwise, sensitive private documents are best left to traditional mail of the pony express kind.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Fair comment.
    Michael

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Never heard of SHTTP, perhaps you mean HTTPS? That only applies to web users. IMAP and SMTP users need to be certain they force IMAPS(993) and SMTPS (often 465) ports and protocols. I don't know the gmail specific ports since using gmail and wanting anything to be "personal" is an oxymoron.

I don't know what the strict rules are for HIPPA, but email unless they use x.509 or GPG certs are not encrypted, so they do not meet with any real security at all. Google (and any intermediary system/network) can look inside the message and read everything. email is like a postcard. Anyone that the postcard passes through can look at the contents.

gmail uses SMTP, SMPTS, IMAP, IMAPS, HTTPS and POP3, POP3S. None of these have anything to do with how the files are stored on gmail's servers ... unencrypted. Half of those are for server-to-server communications and half are for client-to-server communications. Most servers do not demand that the other server only use SSL/TLS encrypted sessions, so there is no way to ensure that the Doctor's email system forced gmail to use encryption for the transport of the email.

Of course, you probably signed something that agreed to them using email to notify you of test results.

If you want strong encryption, look at
    * gpg (you need an OpenPG cert)
    * thunderbird
    * enigmail (plugin/extension for thunderbird)

Other email programs will do openpg like Claws.
    The best how-to guide is at the enigmail site.

When you create a gpg-key for signing and encrypting email, you probably want to make it for 5 or 10 years and 2K in size.

Of course, if you do all this, then the doctor also needs to do it. There is no 1-way encryption method possible for OpenPG email encryption. Both parties need keys and OpenPG software to properly make this work. I've never seen any Doctors, CPAs, or other "professionals" able to deal with GPG encrypted emails. They do not have the time.

Encrypted email has some downsides.
    * it is encrypted, so there is no way to search inside the messages.
    * it is encrypted, so if you lost your private key, there is no known way to decrypt messages encrypted with your public key.
    * The receiver must also have a private and public key setup. You must know their public key to encrypt messages that only they can receive.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Moved to Community Cafe.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by Paper Pusher View Post
    By default Gmail encrypts all of its communication with SHTTP. That was done to keep the Chinese government from spying on Chinese dissidents who used Gmail. Is that same process sufficient to allow my doctor to send me personal health information?

I have a Gmail account and I use the web interface through Gmail. I can also use Thunderbird as a Gmail client. Do I have to use Thunderbird to comply with HIPAA?
    If the Chinese government wanted to spy on its citizens, and they do in certain situations, you can bet that Google will not lock them out. I believe they have to contract with the government to even be there, and google wants to be there.

There may be programs that claim to keep the government out, but it isn't gmail. No one can keep them out if they want to come in.
    Do I have to use Thunderbird to comply with HIPAA?
    I don't think it's you that has to comply, it's the health care providers.

You might find your answer here.

http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/privacy/hipaa...ule/index.html
    Last edited by critin; October 9th, 2012 at 03:05 AM.
    Remember When Double-Dog dare ya's and water balloons were the ultimate weapon?

Quote Originally Posted by Paper Pusher View Post
    Thunderbird as a Gmail client. Do I have to use Thunderbird to comply with HIPAA?
    No one tool solves this problem. And, using Gmail is probably no worse than using any other email technology. It must be secured. However, you have other issues with Gmail public accounts, which is the user agreement put in place by Google. I recommend reading and understanding it.

I hope this helps.

Beans

Thank you very much for all the new comments.

Yes, Google uses HTTPS. My mistake. That's why I posted this initially to complete the forum. Here is a useful link on HIPPA and G-mail.

http://luxsci.com/blog/gmail-not-hip...ant-email.html

This link indicates that G-mail is okay for patients to use to receive personal medical information but it's not okay for providers to use. There are some business processes required that G-mail does not support.

Beans
    Hidden!

I have been following the issue of HIPAA and Gmail for around a year because I am a consultant and I would like to introduce GMail to some of my clients in the health care industry.

Is GMail HIPAA compliant? The real answer is only "maybe". We won't know for sure until there is a lawsuit and precedent is set. Personally I think GMail is as secure as any other cloud email service, but there are many experts who disagree.

As for "HTTPS" encryption: that only applies to information in transit. It does not encrypt email once it reaches the destination. HIPPA may require encryption at all times.

Businesses that sell email service specialized for health care have declared it is not HIPAA compliant. Other experts who do not have an dog in the fight claim that it does meet HIPPA requirements.

We simnply won't know until there is a precedent-setting court case.

Shame on the massive Google for not using its clout to settle this matter, but it appears they have cowardly backed away from it, as they do many things. Of course I am NOT a legal expert.
    Last edited by oregonbob; October 9th, 2012 at 06:47 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast