Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does My Doctor Comply HIPAA when she Sends me Personal Health Information over Gmail?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Does My Doctor Comply HIPAA when she Sends me Personal Health Information over Gm

Quote Originally Posted by oregonbob View Post
    Personally I think GMail is as secure as any other cloud email service, but there are many experts who disagree.
    For most business uses in normal businesses, I'd never use a cloud provider.

OTOH, if you are only putting information that you want the entire world to know and see in the cloud - I say go for it.

Medical records of any sort should never be stored in the cloud, IMHO. Virtual CPU, virtual networks, virtual storage, virtual servers ... that's a lot of virtual things for a human to accidentally screw up. Even with encrypted storage, that doesn't mean nobody can see the files/data, since even accessing that data requires decryption on some level. Best to not use public cloud computing for sensitive data.

Some call me paranoid.

I absolutely LOVE private clouds either on systems located inside a company or inside a cage at a shared data center where nothing but the network and power is shared with others.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Does My Doctor Comply HIPAA or Google asleep at the wheel

Google would not make a commitment to make gmail compliant to HIPAA health care privacy rules. So now they have new competition as Microsoft seizes an opportunity:

Microsoft Office 365 Boasts HIPAA-Compliant
    http://www.informationweek.com/healt...ssag/240009519

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Does My Doctor Comply HIPAA when she Sends me Personal Health Information over Gm

You should never use email to send or receive sensitive information, no matter what email provider you use.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by CodingBeaver View Post
    You should never use email to send or receive sensitive information, no matter what email provider you use.
    it should be remembered hackers generaly steal the data they want from one of the endpoints -- using malware

at the same time we note public e/mail services tend to archive and index customer e/mails so that targeted adverts can be sent

to get around this: get one of the 4:1 office printers that can scan, copy, print, and fax. this way you can communicate with folks who only use printers and fax machines.

when someone sends you a document you can scan it, store the scan as .pdf and throw the original away.

of course people *could* use Libreoffice-- which will offer the alternative: instead of printing you can send via .pdf when you do this Libreoffice converts your document (write or spreadsheet) to .pdf and creates an e/mail via Thunderbird with the .pdf attached. all you need to do yet is click on PGP for encryption, --

-- it's all there -- but you won't see folks using it until are 3d graders become grandparents

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12