Thread: Video editor on Ubuntu 12.04

Beans
    Hidden!

Video editor on Ubuntu 12.04

I'm trying to choose between Kdenlive, LiVES, Cinelerra, and Avidemux. I'm looking for a relatively powerful video editor that's well-integrated with Ubuntu (not necessarily other *buntus). It should preferably be in the default repositories. Which one should I go with?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Video editor on Ubuntu 12.04

They are all great, except for Avidemux. Avidemux is not really intended for heavy video editing. I prefer to use it for video conversion.

While looking at your list I noticed that you did not include OpenShot, which is a fairly new video editor that I enjoy.

I wish you luck with your video creating endeavors!
    Please mark completed threads as [SOLVED] (if it's ever fixed), it makes helping others easier.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary101 View Post
    They are all great, except for Avidemux. Avidemux is not really intended for heavy video editing. I prefer to use it for video conversion.

While looking at your list I noticed that you did not include OpenShot, which is a fairly new video editor that I enjoy.

I wish you luck with your video creating endeavors!
    Thanks. Is there one you prefer to use (or would that be OpenShot)?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

You want 'powerful' : that is Cinelerra en Blender (Blender VSE). Powerful means amongst others that a lot of parameters are keyframble. Both have a tough learning curve but I found it worthwhile for what I do (a lot of effects sometmes). Blender is my favorite because of integration with 3D-animation.

The other editors have less features but are easier to learn. I consider Kdenlive as most developed. I have tested nearly all of them.
    AMD64X2 3800+ 3GB Ram: 11.10
    ACER one T1810 : 11.10 64 bit

Beans

Kdenlive is possibly the best video editor I have used in Linux in terms of features.
    Though it is quite buggy and crashes so make sure to save your projects often.
    Openshot doesnt have as many features as kdenlive but it is a lot more stable.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by cshin9 View Post
    Thanks. Is there one you prefer to use (or would that be OpenShot)?
    I prefer OpenShot. It has a good blend of features and usability.
    Please mark completed threads as [SOLVED] (if it's ever fixed), it makes helping others easier.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I have only tried OpenShot, but I'm really liking it so far. I would definitely recommend it.

Beans
    Hidden!

Sounds like the consensus is OpenShot. Thank you!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

OpenShot is not ready for serious editing.

I'm coming to this threat rather late, but OpenShot is absolutely not ready for serious video editing. It is a wonderful effort, but as of now, there is no group selection of clips. What this means is that if you remove or shorten a clip. You must move every clip to the right of it individually, or calculate the number of seconds needs to be closed to move it over. If you need to add a clip, you must do the same. There is no collapse feature or grouping feature.

A few other things. There is no visible audio track, which makes cuts based on audio difficult. Also, the only option for the cutting tool is with the mouse, so it is next to impossible to target a cut between two specific frames. Making an accurate cut is like grabbing the a resize corner of an Ubuntu window.

OpenShot is fine for light editing, but if you have more than a few clips or want more precision, it is not what you want.