Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: how to compile a wifi driver

Beans

how to compile a wifi driver

ok..it seems no one has an answer to my last post bout the 8192se realtek driver(http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...st8327377)..no prob haha...now can anyone help me compile the native realtek 8192se driver?i think thats my only hope..im kind of a newbie here so of anyone can help guide me through compiling it would be greatly appreciated..here is the link..thanks in advance and i hope i can get more replies this time..haha: http://launchpadlibrarian.net/339279...12.2009.tar.gz

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: how to compile a wifi driver

I worked on this for quite a while and finally, finally got it to make and install. Perhaps some of the steps I will outline are redundant, but that's what worked for me.

DISCLAIMER: I do not use the Realtek 8192SE, so I cannot tell if this drives the device properly; these steps merely build the module you linked.

All the steps in 'Code' blocks are terminal commands. Please enter each individually. This assumes you have internet access on the computer on which the module is to be compiled and installed.

Code:
    sudo apt-get install build-essential linux-source-2.6.31 linux-headers-generic
    cd /usr/src
    sudo tar -xvjf linux-source-2.6.31.tar.bz2
    sudo ln -s /usr/src/linux-source-2.6.31 /usr/src/linux
    cd ~
    mkdir Realtek
    cd Realtek
    wget http://launchpadlibrarian.net/33927923/rtl8192se_linux_2.6.0010.1012.2009.tar.gz
    tar -xvzf rtl8192se_linux_2.6.0010.1012.2009.tar.gz
    cd rtl8192se_linux_2.6.0010.1012.2009
    make
    sudo su   
    make install
    I have assumed you are running kernel 2.6.31-xx. Find out with:
    Code:
    uname -r
    It will be something like this:
    2.6.31-14-generic
    The source you need is the first part only, in this case, 2.6.31. If your running kernel is different, customize these commands to match.

Some of these steps will take a few moments and spit out many lines of text. Please be patient. Please stop and post back with a question if you see the dreaded 'Error.' Next do:
    Code:
    modprobe r8192se_pci
    iwconfig
    Do you now have a wireless interface, wlan0, perhaps? Can you click the Network Manager and connect?

EDIT: Added additional required packages.
    Last edited by chili555; December 3rd, 2009 at 12:07 AM.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans

hey chili555...thanks so much...i followed it down to the t and it worked...after i put in the modprobe commant the little wheel turned and i was connected to my wifi here at home..so i thought everything was fine..enjoyed a little wifi experience i havent had the chance to enjoy for a few days now..then i shut it down..when i log back it..it not there any more...no wireless interface again..what could have gone wrong?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

from terminal cd back to the installed directory

then

sudo ./wlan0up

Beans

ok so i put in

sudo su
    -then
    modprobe r9182se_pci

in the terminal..and i get a wifi signal again..so im thinking i have to do this every time i log back on..is there a way to make this automatic on startup?
    Last edited by topsykretts; November 18th, 2009 at 04:45 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Dude-PWB- View Post
    from terminal cd back to the installed directory

then

sudo ./wlan0up

hey man..so i go
    cd realtek
    sudo ./wlan0up

and i get this error "insmod: error inserting 'r8192se_pci.ko': -1 File exists"

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by topsykretts View Post
    hey man..so i go
    cd realtek
    sudo ./wlan0up

and i get this error "insmod: error inserting 'r8192se_pci.ko': -1 File exists"

Hmm, weird, that's what I had to do with my 8192e after every reboot after I compiled and installed the drivers.

Installed wicd instead and removed network manager, going to see if that works better next time.

However, your error, that i don't get, gives me something else to look for and muck around with.

Beans

Hmm, weird, that's what I had to do with my 8192e after every reboot after I compiled and installed the drivers.

Installed wicd instead and removed network manager, going to see if that works better next time.

However, your error, that i don't get, gives me something else to look for and muck around with.
    so u have to type in a command every reboot to get your wifi to work?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by topsykretts View Post
    so u have to type in a command every reboot to get your wifi to work?
    Yes. On a laptop with a live usb install (for testing and wrecking things till I get it all right).

Like I say, trying some other things now to see if I can get it to start on it's own. Not the most experienced user, but I'm not giving up!

Beans

Yes. On a laptop with a live usb install (for testing and wrecking things till I get it all right).

Like I say, trying some other things now to see if I can get it to start on it's own. Not the most experienced user, but I'm not giving up!
    alright cool!!post a reply if you get anything ok??thanks so much guys!!i really appreciate the help

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast