Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't start my "LiveUSB"

Beans

Can't start my "LiveUSB"

Hi!
    I've created a "LiveUSB" installation thumb of the latest stable version of Ubuntu on a Mac; and I can't get it to work.
    It boots fine, I can switch the language with the visual and choose the special boot options; but when I choose either to try or to directly install Ubuntu, the prompt get stuck here:

I don't have much experience on Linux so I don't know what's going wrong...

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ClickyMouse; October 8th, 2012 at 04:26 PM. Reason: Screenshot was huge

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Can't start my "LiveUSB"

Boot from the disk at the options screen hit F6 and choose 'nomodset' from the popup list. Proceed. What happened?

* Note: Please make screenshots/pics etc thumbnail size and less than 100Kb. You can attach them rather than put in the body of the post. Cheers.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Ball View Post
    * Note: Please make screenshots/pics etc thumbnail size and less than 100Kb. You can attach them rather than put in the body of the post. Cheers.
    Done
    Boot from the disk at the options screen hit F6 and choose 'nomodset' from the popup list. Proceed. What happened?
    I'll try that now. In the meantime I made a USB thumb on Windows with Pen Drive Linux's USB Installer just to see what happens, and it got stuck here:

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Beans

I would try the alternate installer image but that's just me.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post
    I would try the alternate installer image but that's just me.
    Certainly another alternative (no joke intended) and would avoid many potential graphics issues, one of which might be the OP's problem.

Beans

Same place. Try the F6>'nomodset'.
    Didn't work either...

______
    Oh, I don't know if this would be useful info, but when I start the USB, when the purple splash screen with the square and the little man at the bottom appears; I have to quickly press F2 or something to have the Ubuntu menu on screen. If I let that splash screen pass without touching anything; the PC freezes with a black screen and I have to reboot it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Authentication failure? This seems disrelated. But maybe not ...

So, what happens after you hit F2? You get the Authentication Failure or the other one?

Beans

No, sorry... I didn't explained the process very well...

- When I start the USB, the purple screen with the little guy (accessibility icon) at the bottom appears. There I have two options:
    • If I don't press any key, a few seconds later, that screen disappears, the monitor turns black, and the PC freezes. (So, I have to reboot it and start all over)
    • If I press a key (let's say F2 for instance, to change the installation language) the Ubuntu screen with all the options appears (F2 for language, F5 for accessibility, F6 for advanced options, etc.)

- Then, I chose to install Ubuntu; and after a few minutes of different "command prompts" (I don't know how to call them) showing up on the screen. The "installation" freezes with the Authentication Failure lines that I've attached on my previous post.

______
    I have to go to get something to eat right now. Meanwhile I'm downloading the alternate version just in case. I'll be back in a bit.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Yep, try that.

Tip from another site: Try deleting the partitions and leaving free space to install Ubuntu if you haven't already got that. It's worked for others (on Mac so it could be specific to them). I'd suggest doing this before bothering with the alternate.

The authentication failure is an oddity because the LiveCD uses no credentials; username, password, etc, so this shouldn't be happening. But seems to in this situation with a Mac.

Also, be sure to check the disk for errors. Torrent is the best, quickest, safest way to get the ISO. Good luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast